There is something wrong with my duckling, please help!

QueenDuck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Hi,
I am really worried about my 6 day old pre-matured duckling.
I am quite new to ducks but it seems to me that my other duckling is bossing her around abit. My other duckling (the boy, the one bossing her around) is twice the size or her(the pre-matured one) I know that they take a little longer to develop and everything but i think i might loose her. She used to be really loud but now not even a single peep. She looks very ill and one of her eyes has gone funny. She has a giant creamy,yellowey blob over it and like a sort of thin cover over her eye aswell.
Please help me! I really don't want to loose her! Whatever I can do, however much mone it costs, I DON'T CARE!!! I just want my little baby back to normal!!

fl.gif
I am begging for any help out there!!!
PLEASE!!
hit.gif

Do you have a vet?

She may have a systemic infection which would require antibiotics.

Does she have water to splash in every day?

What is she being fed?

Do you have vitamins to give her?

Hi,
I feed her chick crumb and I give her a place to swim in everyday but in her brooder she just has a butter tub which she can still get her head under if needed. She never seems to swim or go into the water when she has the chance to. She just stands on the brick but my other duckling will just go in, splash about (kinda dive in a way) in the water and then come out and stand on the bricks.
Thanks for your quick reply!!
And also, they seem to open thier beaks when under the lamp. It looks like they are panting a bit but they a right underneath the lamp!!!
hugs.gif

Hi,
I feed her chick crumb and I give her a place to swim in everyday but in her brooder she just has a butter tub which she can still get her head under if needed. She never seems to swim or go into the water when she has the chance to. She just stands on the brick but my other duckling will just go in, splash about (kinda dive in a way) in the water and then come out and stand on the bricks.
Thanks for your quick reply!!
And also, they seem to open thier beaks when under the lamp. It looks like they are panting a bit but they a right underneath the lamp!!!
hugs.gif
Sounds like they are over heated if they are panting. raise the lamp up and check the temp.
And if the larger one is picking on the small one separate but keep in the same brooder put a piece of hardware cloth or something simular so they can still see each other but the small one won't be bullied.

Last edited:
The eye gunkies don't sound good. Can you run a small (freshly clean sink that can also be sanitized when done) of lightly warm water deep enough for her to dunk her head but still stand in? She needs to get her face clean and get her eyes and nares cleaned up. If it's oozing it can be an eye infection of some kind- it could be what's wrong and it could be a symptom of something else being wrong. If the other is picking on her- I'd separate them like Miss Lydia suggested. He needs to leave her alone but if they can't see each other they will get lonely, loud and sad fast. Is she sneezing or wheezing or coughing? Also panting generally means they are hot. Even if they don't move from under the lamp to a cooler spot- you need to adjust the temperature in there. Too hot can cause all sorts of problems- dehydration being only one of them.

Last edited:
Ditto Miss Lydia and zooweemama.

And again, if you have a vet who might help especially prescribing appropriate antibiotics, I would go that route. In the meantime, vitamins, probiotics, electrolytes, warm baths, a face wipe with cooled chamomile tea.

Okay thanks everyone
smile.png

She seems alot happier in herself today and I have changed the bulb to a lower heat one. She still has the gunkie eye. I have put her in a small cat litter tray where she can get her head under but still stand up. She is refusing to put her head under though. Should I force it under ( I know it sounds mean!) or not?
Thanks!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom