there is something wrong with one of my chicks (newbie)

my4ladies

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Hi. I'm a newbie to owning chickens. I was always around them as a kid, but never responsible for any ; ) I know the basics, but not much about diseases, illnesses, etc. yet. Anyway, we ordered 4 chicks from a recommended website to start our mini-flock. They added extras in for comfort during shipment and from day 1 each chick has been acting just like a chick, except one. This one's a silkie (if that's relevant for helping to diagnose him). They are all 6 days old now, and to my suprise, it's still alive. It just stands there and chirps. It's constantly trying to get under the other chicks like they're it's mama. The temp is 90 (at 95 they were acting too hot)...anyway, I'm really doubting any temp. issues. This chick almost acts like it's blind, but we've experimented and discovered that it's not. It doesn't eat or drink on it's own, despite my several-times-a-day efforts of placing it in front of the water and food (in their [big] box), dipping in it's beak. However, it eats and drinks from my hand, with some coaxing (i.e. dipping in its beak gently while food/water is held in front of it). In with the other chicks it just stands there chirping. When it gets bumped into, it'll regain it's footing, and other than that, it only walks around looking for some comfort (I think). It certainly acts blind...it doesn't seem to know where to go to get food/water, and it doesn't move when the others get near, resulting in an unexpected bump. All the others walk around pecking with nearly every step, and this one has not ever pecked the ground. It just acts really lost. The others have already learned that when they see me, food is coming and they gather near the food thingy....and this one is clueless. Just stands there alone, chirping.

Any ideas on what could be the matter with it? Is it a silkie thing? Any troubleshooting advice/ideas? Is it sick?

Thank you for any info you might offer.

~Mariah

I`m having the same problem with my one silkie chick that I hatched out in bator,It doesn`t seem to know enough to eat or drink very much I did put baby vitamins in the water .I think I will give it more vit. today from a eye dropper.It was born early Friday morning.I did put a stuffed animal in there and then a real feather duster and its very quiet now and sleeps under the feather duster.I think baby silkies take a lttle longer to strenghten up,I have a silkies but the mama always raised them and it did seem to take longer for the chicks to come out and walk around on there own compared to the other breeds of chicks.

Quote:
Hi Mariah,

I'm not sure exactly what could be wrong with you chick, but I do have a few suggestions for weak chicks that just aren't thriving. Try these things, it couldn't hurt.

Go to the drug store and buy poly-vi-sol baby vitamins without iron. You will want to give the chick 1 drop on its beak line twice a day. They vitamins are all good for It, but especially the vit b12 which helps stimulate appetite. The stuff tastes terrible, so don't be surprised if the chick fusses.

Next, make a sugar water solution, and dip the chicks beak in it several times a day. Also, any time you go by the brooder try dipping its little beak in the water there.

Hard boil an egg and grind the yolk only up very fine in the food processor. See if you can get it to eat this, even if you have to hand feed.

Remember to always check for pasty butt and clean it up well!

Sometimes chicks just need a little jump start. Try this and let us know how it goes!

Good luck

Andrea

I had a chick that was like that only a few weeks ago. It would only feed from my hand and that was after 5/6 days. Eventually when I had another chick in the brooder it began to learn what to do. You might try yogurt mixed with a bit of bread. - My wee chick only started eating - don;t laugh when I had an egg custard tart and gave it some. I think your wee chick might just be a little upset about all the moving and not having a mumma etc. Keep trying it is worth it. my little one is now 4 weeks old and is doing really well!

Thank you all.

I have some poly-vi-sol here that I had for my youngest dd when she was a baby, and I have given it to the chick a couple times. I do dip it's beak in the water while in the box, but it still doesn't seem to get it. Same with the food. And when all the other chicks are over by the feeder, all it does is try to get under them. I'm really hoping it comes around...I feel so bad for it.

I also forgot to mention that yesterday I saw it poop and noticed the poop was not formed, but instead liquid and all dark brown...actually, it looked exactly like the liquid vitamins. Yesterday I only gave it one little droplet of vitamins on it's beak, would it have any effect on it's poo?

I really like the feather duster idea...and while it won't teach it to eat or drink, it will still be comforting to our little Foofy. I'll be sure to post any updates ; )

Thanks again,
Mariah

Have you seen the chick poop before this at all? I believe its quite common to have some liquid poops in the beginning, as their little digestive systems learn to work.....and then also, there is cecal poo. Was it completely translucent?
I'm not sure on this one, buy I would think the vitamins should all go into it's system.....

Does the chick tilt its head back after you dip its beak in water? Its really concerning that you think it might not be getting any water at all. Have you tried the sugar water to entice it to drink?

The feather duster is a great idea, provided That They don't start eating the feathers. I've heard of lots of people using them. My girls had a stuffed animal in their brooder when they were babies, it was a goose, and the loved to snuggle under its wings. So cute!

Did the little one eat any egg yolk or crumbles yesterday?

Do keep an eye on it's vent, as liquid poo can quickly lead to pasty butt, and must be cleaned off.

I'm hoping she makes it...
fl.gif

I only saw it poop that time and then another after that...both times it was not translucent, just dark liquid. I watched it for a bit earlier this morning after I fed/watered it, waiting for it to go, but was needed in the house by the kids. It's concerning to me also that it won't drink while in the brooder. It's like it doesn't know. I've been putting it in front of the water and the feeder each time before I pick it up to feed it, but it doesn't do anything. I dip it's beak in both the water and the food. I go out there several times a day to hand feed/water it. And when I say hand feed/water, all I'm doing is holding the chick in one hand, and food or water in the other in one of those little medicine cups. It's funny though, it'll peck at the food, but then it'll peck next to it, completely missing the inside of the cup...like it can't see it. It doesn't try to turn it's head to look at it or anything...it just throws it's head forward and pecks, sometimes getting in the cup, sometimes missing it.

And to answer your question, yes it does tip it's head back to swallow after it drinks. Ironically, we are out of eggs, lol, so I have not tried the egg yolk yet. I am constanly looking for pasting up on all of them, and so far I've only had to clean one off. I did put a fuzzy kitty in there last night, and it did go under it, but was still chirping away....a loud calling-type chirp, not a happy content chirp. The other chicks loved climbing up on top of it though.

I'm really curious to see what comes of the little chick. I wonder when, if at all, it will start being able to take care of itself. It is so tiny. They were all hatched on the same day. There is only one other bantie (light brahma) and now it's almost twice the size of Foofy. And next to the other standard sized chicks it looks REALLY tiny!

She He really like her feather duster she gets under it and lays on t
44824_baby_silkie_eating_2.jpg
y_silkie_eating_1.jpg[/img]op of it,Its real ostridge feathers and very soft
44824_baby_silkie_eating_2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom