There Killed !!!

ilovechickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
West Central Wisconsin
I let my small flock out this morning before I left and I came home to just tons of feathers, I lost my Cochin Rooster, 1 Cochin Hen, 1 Easter Egger, and I need to put down 1 Cochin Hen, she is missing her tail, and part of her back. I can't find tracks, but the Easter Egger was killed in the coop, and it looks like the Cochin's were killed outside. There are no bodies, just feathers. My Rooster is pictured on my "Ilovechickens" icon. I am so sad, what could of done this!!!!
hit.gif
I found 2 Cochin hens, and my last 2 Easter Eggers hiding in the other outbuilding. The hen that is hurt, she was just wandering around. I got them all put away. What got them?

If it took the bodies it's probably a fox or coyote/dog/feral dog type animal. So sorry, we lost a couple batches of chickens the same way when the lady fox built her den in the ditch close to our house.

The hen with the badly injured back might survive as long as it is a flesh wound. Did you put her down yet?
So sorry about your loss. It is such a horrible thing to come home too.

Don`t that frost your gizzard. Sounds like a pack of coyotes or dogs. Had to be more than one and big enough to carry them away. If they come back, and chances are they will, PM me and I`ll tell you a secret about such things from my vast wealth of experience. They shouldn`t come back for a couple days as they have now had a big meal. Sorry for your loss. Been there more times than I can remember.

your injured hen may have a chance to survive if you bring her in, treat her w/ topical and maybe oral/inj. antibiotics. They're amazing creatures. So sorry for your losses; I hope you're able to predator-proof your run.
hugs.gif

Oh no, I am sooo sorry. Definately a predator. Probably not dogs. they kill for fun and the bodies would have been there. Something like a coyote, bobcat, etc. I hope you can figure out what it was so you can prevent it in the future. Again, so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom