there should be a warning posted

tarragon

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Bothell, WA
that when your chicks learn to dust bathe you will think there is something terribly wrong with them. "What's wrong with her? Is she having a seizure? Why is she just flopped over like that and writhing around?"
hmm.png

I was forewarned, but some of their antics still took me by surprise. In the book City Chicks, by Patricia Foreman, she shows pictures of dust bathing, sun bathing and yoga positions they do when stretching their muscles. One is called "Chicken Warrior Pose" and I still laugh when my chicks strike this pose, because it is often after they shake themselves after a dust bath, and they can't get the footwork just right, so they fall down. Who needs television when you have a brooder full of entertainment????.

My husband came home for lunch today, and looking in on the chickens saw them all in the 'dead chicken' position sunbathing in the sunlight streaming through the window. He said the only reason he didn't freak out was because I had been laughing about it earlier this week! I think they are soooo cute when laid out!

my cousin said to me the other day when she was here "uh, i think one of your chickens is dying" I laughed and said no shes having a dust bath!

too funny.

Back
Top Bottom