There's a BUNNY! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fluffy Chick 15, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Fluffy Chick 15

Fluffy Chick 15 Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    OK, I wasnt really sure where to post this so i put it here! So I have just recently aquired a rabbit today..... I have no secure place to put it but the lovely chicken run. The chickens have informed me that they are NOT happy about this! They run and flap away in fear whenever the rabbit comes close. They practically enjure themselves trying to get away from the devil bunny! Im not sure what to do whith them, I can leave one party locked up in the coop! (it is quite warm) Any suggestions?

2. SAKim

SAKim Songster

Jun 1, 2010
    I don't know if you have a fenced yard but my next door neighbors have a grown rabbit and it runs free in their yard during the day. They do have other dogs and cats but I guess the other animals are used to the Rabbit because they just leave her alone. She has a hole she dug under a large bush and she spends most of the day there. My neighbors do put her in a small Kennel/carrier at night with some hay then let her out in the morning.

I hope you enjoy your rabbit -- i love watching my neighbor's.

3. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Quote:The chickens will get used to it, I had the same concerns. My daughter had a male rabbit for 1-1/2 years before we got chickens. I put the 12 - 4 week old chicks in with the rabbit, when I moved them outside from the brooder. The rabbit didnt like having to share the 12' X 16' coop and 12' X 30' run but they all worked it out. Sometimes the rabbit runs right into the crowd and seems to enjoy making them all run away.

Fast forward another 6 weeks and now they are so big, the rabbit runs into the crowd and nobody moves! LOL Make sure there's enough space for everyone and it will be fine. Dont forget, rabbits are a social animal just like chickens. They just need time.

Throw some lettuce, carrot and salad scraps out there so they can share a meal together.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Rabbits are prodigious diggers. If you don't have wire buried around the perimeter he'll soon be out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by