"There's a chicken in a tree!"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VA Lady, Aug 22, 2010.

1. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    So our first 4 chickens aren't quite old enough to lay yet but apparently one of them is old enough to start flying out of their run into a nearby tree. The first time she did it I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm yelling into the house - "There's a chicken in a tree!!" They'd flown around some but she went much higher - at least 12 feet up the tree on the other side of the run. Now she does it at least once a day (and the others are getting ideas!).

Roxie in the tree:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's a bird...
    It's a plane....
    No, It's Super Chicken!!!

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Chickens will usually choose to roost in trees if they are given the opportunity. I think we forget that they are birds!

Actually, my Brahmas don't even choose to fly except from the top of the raised flower bed (about 2 feet up) back to the ground as their wings just don't seem big enough to support them. But at least you have real chickens!

Sandie

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    No matter how much be manipulate their genes for certain physical characteristics a chicken will always seek the safety of a tree. I love the look on their face when they discover they can fly!

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    well at least shes safe up there, but I think you better hope she doesn't build a nest up there because she looks about ready to give you eggs too.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    when you get her down trim the lower branches so she has nothing to grab onto as she tries to roost in the tree again

If she is allowed to roost in the tree she may not want to go to the coop at night and she cant be protected in the tree from predators. One of my phoenixes kept going to the tree and like clockwork we would get the ladder at bedtime and fish him down till one day he was to high and we could not get him so we left him. The next night the same thing.. and on and on and on... till one morning there was no phoenix in the tree a coon got him

7. blueraspberry

blueraspberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    thats a sad story [​IMG]!

8. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    When she comes down clip her wings. I just went through and clipped the wings of my 5 weeks olders since they had discovered that they could fly.

9. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Right now she's really pretty good about it. She'll fly up there, look around for no more than a minute or two and then, usually, fly right back down into the run around the coop. Sometimes she'll fly into the yard though so she can go back in the woods and dig around in the leaves (they love doing that!).

10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:I had a japanese bantam that went broody in an old birdsnest in a tree TWICE. [​IMG] She was crazy anyway and super flighty, I had to get rid of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by