There's a possum in my yard

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Our chicks are in a very secure coop which is in a pretty secure run and they are pretty far from where the possum is. My dog has rendered the possum fake-dead and is leaving it alone but I think if it got up and ambled toward the chicken coop she would definitely fake-kill it again. DH says that since the dog already molested the possum, it will probably just leave when she's not around. But what if its exit path is toward the chickens? I don't think it would be since it's far from it and closer to the woods across the road but I'm still nervous. Please say a quick prayer that it doesn't even go near my chicken run, since it would probably come back someday if it finds out there are chickens in there. Normally we get very few critters (probably because of the dog, which will play with anything until it's dead or suicidal) but I think the sound of fireworks has them all running around more.

I'd be thrilled if he'd just shoot it. But he didn't and he's in bed now and I can't shoot a gun. He isn't always reluctant. There was a raccoon around a while back (before we had the chickens) and I got him to shoot it because it wasn't leaving. He managed a head shot from a pretty good distance all while holding a flashlight and shooting the rifle (a 22, but still). And he rarely shoots anything.

Last edited:
When I checked later the possum was halfway between the drive (where I found him) and the road so he was headed in the right direction. Hopefully he won't come back since the dog was probably a pain in his butt.

Back
Top Bottom