Thermometers🌡️ And Hygrometers 💦

KingD

🙄🤚©
Jun 19, 2020
England, United Kingdom
(skip to the bottom to save wasting your time*)

So I'm one of those people who suffer(?) from a hatching addiction and after quite some time I've figured that despite an incubator being extremely popular and rather expensive, it's really all down to the correct temp and humidity as to whether the eggs will hatch or not.
The humidity reader I have been relying on has become inacurate, possibly because it was partly submerged in water:rolleyes::rolleyes:. I have 2 others which show different readings to each other.

The time has come to get a new thermometer and humidity tester as currently I have 3 of each and they all read completely different. It's been messing my hatches up a bit.

*If anyone can suggest a reliable one which they've tried, preferably a 2 in one thermometer/hygrometer, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I use Govees from Amazon, which run about $15 apiece: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097HF322L/

They connect via bluetooth to an app on my phone, so as long as I'm at home it's very easy to keep an eye on them without touching the incubator. I'm currently hatching with a commercial grade cabinet incubator, and the two I have in there are measuring within 0.2 degrees F of one another, +/- 5% humidity.

I have looked at a bunch of thermometers over the years and none of them are ever read the same. So basically, you can't trust any of them to be the exact correct temperature.

Go look at the analog thermometers at walmart hanging in the same place. You know they are all the exact same temperature, unless your handling them, but they all read different. Some 1/2 degree off and some 3 degrees off.

Even the accurite digital thermometers never read the same. I have 4 of them now that are anywheres from 1 - 3 degrees off. There is no way to calibrate those so I just write on them to add or subtract degrees from what is displayed.

Have you been using digital or analog instruments? I wouldn't honestly even bother with digital and stick to analog that can be re-calibrated before each hatch. Much cheaper and you can't beat the accuracy of a properly calibrated analog instrument.

This is the hygrometer I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Hygrometer-Anync-Humidor-Cabinet-Diameter/dp/B07XW9D6PP/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=1M2FLZ4F9MKGY&keywords=humidor+hygrometer&qid=1636490235&qsid=146-9023002-1128324&sprefix=humidor+,aps,150&sr=8-5&sres=B00JXOKQVW,B07QC7JRDP,B07XW9D6PP,B00JXOKS2E,B073VLDM1N,B0140UC9XQ,B07WJJ9265,B08X4KSDLX,B07GR65CNT,B08BJTL2HN,B09CYLJZ32,B00J21XC9Y,B00JXOKT1O,B07GNMKYCZ

This is the thermometer I use:
https://www.circlecsupply.com/littl...YW3KMxFemQWLmJDMGwW1D9G5p3ojpt3BoC4YgQAvD_BwE
Thanks a lot for that!
Very helpful indeed.

I think that is a good idea of yours to get rid of the digital stuff. I will look into getting some analogue ones.

Thanks again!

I have looked at a bunch of thermometers over the years and none of them are ever read the same. So basically, you can't trust any of them to be the exact correct temperature.

Go look at the analog thermometers at walmart hanging in the same place. You know they are all the exact same temperature, unless your handling them, but they all read different. Some 1/2 degree off and some 3 degrees off.

Even the accurite digital thermometers never read the same. I have 4 of them now that are anywheres from 1 - 3 degrees off. There is no way to calibrate those so I just write on them to add or subtract degrees from what is displayed.
Ok. That's interesting.
Thanks for that

I use Govees from Amazon, which run about $15 apiece: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097HF322L/

They connect via bluetooth to an app on my phone, so as long as I'm at home it's very easy to keep an eye on them without touching the incubator. I'm currently hatching with a commercial grade cabinet incubator, and the two I have in there are measuring within 0.2 degrees F of one another, +/- 5% humidity.
Oooh techy. I like it.

I expected them to be more expensive than they are. I might look into them further.
Thanks for that suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom