Thermostat versus light dimmer?

izziebean

Chirping
May 2, 2015
With the help of a lot of youtube videos and these forums, I have built my own incubator. I'm using a 25 watt bulb with a dimmer switch. I put a computer fan running on a 12v in last night behind the light. The bottom is lined with lava rock to help stabilize the temperatures. I have a pyrex pan in the bottom with water and a sponge. The temp is running about 99 degrees in the middle. Before adding in the fan, the temp was a lot higher on the side with the light (103). The other far end was at 97.

Since putting in the fan last night, I've had trouble keeping the temp steady. Odd as it sounds, my temp goes down when I push the dimmer up. I put a blanket on top to try to insulate it a bit more and the temp jumped to 117 (pretty sure I would have killed any eggs).

At this point, I'm thinking about switching out the light dimmer with a thermostat. Is that a good idea? Has anyone had better results one way or the other?

Since I'm having to re-home my roosters, I would really like to get a few chicks out of this batch.. because.. well.. I'm going to miss the little guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought a water heater temp controller at home depot. Wiring it in now. Hoping tomorrow to start the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom