These are boys, right???

tharrell

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Colorado Springs
These two are being sent off to the processor Saturday with some quail and I'm about 90% sure they are boys. Just in case I have a hen in there I want some other opinions on them. They are about 11 weeks old or so and are mixed breed. It's the first one I really have any doubts about. Thanks in advance for any help!

First Guy:
13752_chick1-1.jpg

13752_chick1-2.jpg

13752_chick1.jpg

Second Guy:
13752_chick2-1.jpg

13752_chick2-2.jpg

I dunno... I don't see saddle feathers on either one of them... OR any sign of roo other than maybe their legs are big... Maybe someone more familiar with a Brahma mix(?) could tell.

A good pic of their backs and tail would help alot, at 11 weeks and if they are Brahma mix, I would think their combs would be bigger if they were cockerals. The tail on the second one looks henish to me, but hard to tell in the pics.

Last edited:
You should post more pics on the two of them....they could be hens.

I read on here once that someone didn't post better pics, they just assumed their two birds were roos.....they realized their mistake....AFTER they killed them.....both were hens.

I think they are all roos. I don't think cockerels get pointed saddle feathers this early, but the combs & wattles on these chicks defintitely look male (for this young).

I know your chicks are not pure LBs, but they still have a lot of the same traits and I think you can use brahma pictures to compare them.
These are pictures of my light brahma cockerel at 11 weeks of age:

lightbrahma005.jpg

lightbrahma003.jpg

These was taken a few days later (11 1/2 weeks)
lightbrahma011.jpg

lightbrahma015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom