They’re here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DollBoll, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Thanks for posting this! :D I didn't know that could happen!!! I'll be more carful next time I get chicks .

2. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Thank you! I will go to the pet shop near me tomorrow when they’re open and check if they have any shavings -not cedar- and change it out. Yes they’re bantam Pekins if I’m told correct so I’ll get the correct waterer, don’t want them drowning on my watch!

ButtonquailGirl14 and penny1960 like this.
  3. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Coccidiosis causes their fecal matter to have blood in it often, it’s the easiest way to tell.

Chris can be picked up at most feed places for $20 for a large bottle and the dosage depends on the water but it’s a very small amount, so a bottle can last you a very long time.

Be aware that there are different strains of coccidiosis so they can still catch another strain. But it’s still treated the same way.

4. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Thank you that’s very helpful I think I’ll try and get some shavings if not I’ll buy paper towels and get rid of the news paper!

ButtonquailGirl14 and penny1960 like this.
  5. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Baby chicks can be notoriously silly and get themselves up to all kinds of antics. Be aware though that it isn’t uncommon to lose a chick. They sometimes just don’t thrive and there isn’t much you can do.

Not that it will happen, but don’t beat yourself up over something like that. The point is that you give them the best possible start.

6. penny1960

penny1960 Boo

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Replace the newspaper with paper towels Please pebbles from outside wash them put them in water dish so chicks cannot get too wet Please

ButtonquailGirl14 and DollBoll like this.
  7. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    That’s no good I hope they don’t catch it and I’ll have to have a search around as I live in the uk and our pet shops are quite limited on poultry products

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  8. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    I know and I’d hate to lose one as they aren’t even mine and also these 3 survived out of the 6 eggs one chick was unfortunately not ready to have started hatching and was eaten by the hen that was sitting on them and 2 other eggs got squashed by her so I’m going to do my best to keep these 3 as healthy as possible:)

9. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Ok I’ll do that now am I to use pebbles about the size of a 5p or bigger I don’t want them to try and eat them!

10. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Also would toilet paper work until I get proper shavings or paper towels?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: