They’re here!

Pics

DollBoll

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
In my previous post I stated I was to look after my uncles newly hatched chicks..

They’ve just been dropped off they were very chirpy I’ve got them set up in my bedroom they are now under their light having a little food

They don’t have a proper waterer it’s a plastics container that has been cut shallow if that’s not ok I’d like to know asap and I will order a proper waterer

I will make sure to check their droppings daily for blood and check their vents to make sure they are clean as told so in the previous post which provided very helpful and informative replies so thank you!

image.jpg
This is their set up all I’ve done is add water to the shallow plastic container

Attachments

• 50E90A37-7F3B-442F-BCE3-416C6CCF05F8.jpeg
    50E90A37-7F3B-442F-BCE3-416C6CCF05F8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
View attachment 1849771This is their set up all I’ve done is add water to the shallow plastic container

I'm not exactly an expert but I wouldn't use newspaper . It's slippery and could mess up their walking . I would use dirt,paper towel or pine shavings . Dirt worked nicely for me, it cost me nothing and the chicks got a more natural set up (they loved digging and dust bathing in it :D)

Last edited:
The set up looks pretty good! Just two things:

1. Your right that the waterer isn't great; chicks can drown in containers that are too big or too deep if they fall asleep too close. I'd definitely get a smaller one specially designed for chicks or small wild birds and even put marbles in it as a further percaution.
2. I'd never use newspaper as a bedding, simply because the chicks can slip on it and get split legs (where it looks like they are doing the splits and can't stand). Pine shavings work far better, even though they can be a little dusty.

Good luck! They look so adorable! :)

Newspaper is too slippery for newborn chicks and can cause a condition called splayed leg, where their legs spread too wide to walk properly. The condition can be fixed but it’s better to prevent it.

I’d use shavings if possible. If you have a feed store near you, you can grab a bag of shavings for about 6 bucks usually and that can last you awhile. Just don’t use cedar shavings as that can cause respiratory issues.

While that waterer might work while they’re very young you’ll need to upgrade to a true waterers soon as they’ll drink it all. Plus, if they’re bantam breeds they can drown in even shallow water.

Otherwise the set-up looks good and the chicks look content.

I'm not exactly an expert but I wouldn't use newspaper . It's slippery and could mess up their walking . I would use dirt,paper towel or pine shavings . (Dirt worked nicely for me, it cost me nothing and the chicks got a more natural set up)
Consider the newspaper gone! I want nothing more than to raise these chicks the best I can... in the week I have them that is :)

The set up looks pretty good! Just two things:

1. Your right that the waterer isn't great; chicks can drown in containers that are too big or too deep if they fall asleep too close. I'd definitely get a smaller one specially designed for chicks or small wild birds and even put marbles in it as a further percaution.
2. I'd never use newspaper as a bedding, simply because the chicks can slip on it and get split legs (where it looks like they are doing the splits and can't stand). Pine shavings work far better, even though they can be a little dusty.

Good luck! They look so adorable! :)
Yes I will order a proper waterer now thank you for clarifying I wish I’d had ordered it before they got here so I’d have had it ready :/

Back
Top Bottom