They’re here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DollBoll, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    You can try and shred the toilet paper or newspaper. That way it’s got more of a texture to it.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Can you get your Uncle to bring dirt from his chicken yard to put in your brooder?
    It will actually help the chicks build resistance.
    No, no TP it will get wet and stick to them and they'll probably eat it.:)

ButtonquailGirl14, aart and DollBoll like this.
  3. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    If you have a lot of newspaper you can just shred/cut it into little strips and use that as your 'pine shavings'. With chicks, I just used a simple lid off a jar and it works fine for me as a waterer and feeder. I'd give you my store bought chick waterer and feeder if you were nearby as I'm done with hatching chicks!! Little boogers are draining my wallet!! Well, they are 9 months old now.

DollBoll likes this.
  4. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    He’s gone on holiday but I will go and collect some in a bucket shall I just get a small amount and plop it in a corner if it’s just for building resistance and also no problem I won’t go ahead with the toilet paper thank you!

5. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    I'm in the UK too so I can help with where to get some of the things I use :)

The majority of pet shops will sell a small poultry drinker but if you dont have one near, I'd buy a small ceramic rabbit/small animal bowl and add some clean pebbles into it, don't fill it to the top.

I prefer using the small mushroom poultry drinkers because the shape allows the chicks to get their heads in but not stand in it.
    IMG_9866.PNG
    As for what to put on the floor, I use Puppy training pads from the pound shop. You get a huge pack and they are not slippy for the chicks legs. They're great at absorbing anything spilt and poops to an extent. So much easier to keep clean too, just roll up and throw out each day.

As for coccidiosis treatment (if you need it) you can use Harkers Coxoid treatment that's used for pigeons. You can also get that from many UK pet shops.

Enjoy them while you have them! :D

6. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Actually, if you use dirt from his yard and if the chicks will eventually be returning to his yard you can use that dirt to line your brooder bottom.
    It is soil they would be on if mom was around.
    Be sure to keep an eye on your temperature if you do this, the dark soil will conduct heat better so you may need to raise your lamp.:)

ButtonquailGirl14 and DollBoll like this.
  7. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Ah that’s helpful thanks and yes I wish the shops around me were more equipped so I didn’t have to wait for shipping :/ 2 days is the shortest wait which isn’t so bad

8. FredsGobblers

FredsGobblers Songster

Oct 15, 2017
    north Missouri
    Yes I would shred the newspaper and use a lid for water. I place a dime in the lid for something shiny until they figure it out. May have to fill the lid and clean often but shallow enough to not risk drowning

ButtonquailGirl14 and DollBoll like this.
  9. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Wow this is great do you know if pets at home do those waterers and also puppy training pads what a great idea I’ll go get some tomorrow and I’ll go look in my local pet shop to see what they have ! :))

10. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    I will get a bucket of it tomorrow but I won’t put it in until I get some of that coxiod solution for their water :) thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: