They all hate me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mendiolachicks, Nov 5, 2015.

1. mendiolachicks

mendiolachicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I have 3 black australorp hens and a dominique rooster. The rooster was born mid April and the hens probably around the end of may. I cannot touch them. They run as soon as they see me. And the rooster... he stalks me. Won't let me anywhere near the girls, and he threatens me.. I would like to be able to keep him, but I do not like his attitude! Anyone have suggestions on how to tame them? They free range in my backyard.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Just get a new rooster.. mean roosters ate bad...most hens will run from you.. you can try giving treats that helps them to be comfortable around you

3. mendiolachicks

mendiolachicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I don't want a new one. He's beautiful. He used to like me. He used to let me pet him. I figured he got mean because the girls started to really mature..

4. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Well do you have kids around?

5. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    No its because he hit his hormones. I had a the same thing happen he went to the freezer for attacking me and my daughter(2years old). If he already feeling his oats and think he the boss he keep it up. I learned the hard way i am use to big animals(horse, cattle, dogs ect) but birds are different if they dont fear you they dont respect you as far as roosters are concerned.

6. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    You could keep them confined to the coop and run. . It's up to you..

7. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Or a movable chicken tractor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by