they are dying left and right

smthgrly

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2015
Our 5 white leghorn babies arrived Friday under not so great circumstances. Instead of the USPS calling us to pick our babies up (I even went down there mid day to see if they had come in yet) the mail carrier brought them to our door at 5pm. This means they were in her cold truck all day. Two of the five chicks were listless and unresponsive but after 4 hours of constant vigil and making sure they drank, they seemed to rebound. By the time we went to bed everyone was chirping and moving around. They slept most of the day yesterday but we noticed one sitting in the corner for a couple of hours...looked like green poop on its bottom so I picked her up to clean it and she was unresponsive again. I hand watered her but she did not make it. During the night another one died. This morning the third died. The last two just started with the green poop and lethargy and I fear they only have hours to live. They are in a brooder with appropriate temperatures. I have both enzyme and probiotics in the water. Since Friday they really haven't eaten very much. I made them boiled egg yolk and crumbled it but they didn't even want that. Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated.

Our 5 white leghorn babies arrived Friday under not so great circumstances. Instead of the USPS calling us to pick our babies up (I even went down there mid day to see if they had come in yet) the mail carrier brought them to our door at 5pm. This means they were in her cold truck all day. Two of the five chicks were listless and unresponsive but after 4 hours of constant vigil and making sure they drank, they seemed to rebound. By the time we went to bed everyone was chirping and moving around. They slept most of the day yesterday but we noticed one sitting in the corner for a couple of hours...looked like green poop on its bottom so I picked her up to clean it and she was unresponsive again. I hand watered her but she did not make it. During the night another one died. This morning the third died. The last two just started with the green poop and lethargy and I fear they only have hours to live. They are in a brooder with appropriate temperatures. I have both enzyme and probiotics in the water. Since Friday they really haven't eaten very much. I made them boiled egg yolk and crumbled it but they didn't even want that. Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated.

That is just awful! Sorry for that :( I would call hatchery, post office and maybe talk to your mail lady. There is probably little you can do at this point for them. I am surprised local P.O. or USPS would mishandle chicks that way. Local P.O. should have called you to pick them up right away. Sorry :(

Yes...I agree. The fact that mid day on Friday I went to the post office to make sure they weren't in and the lady there said absolutely they would have called first thing in the morning if they had come in. There will be a complaint filed...not the first time I've had issues with this particular carrier.

Call the hatchery right away and tell them what happened. I don't know what your hatchery's policy is regarding time allowed for replacement. I think it's 48 hours with most of them. the fact that the remaining 2 have NOT YET died may mean that they will only replace 3, but that's better than none. I'd ask to have all of them replaced. Yes, I'd definitely file a complaint regarding USPS handling of this issue.

Call the hatchery right away and tell them what happened.  I don't know what your hatchery's policy is regarding time allowed for replacement.  I think it's 48 hours with most of them.  the fact that the remaining 2 have NOT YET died may mean that they will only replace 3, but that's better than none.  I'd ask to have all of them replaced.  Yes, I'd definitely file a complaint regarding USPS handling of this issue.

I called the hatchery on Friday after receiving and explained the condition they arrived. They noted the account, gave me some advice but warned they more than likely weren't going to make it. Told me to call back Monday to give an update. So we will see. As of right now the last two are still alive. Not eating but I am giving side beak water every half hour to an hour. Gonna try to put some boiled egg yolk in the water next "feeding" to see if that gives them a bit of stregth to keep fighting. Still pooping green but i think it might be a light green than it was earlier.

And the last one is almost done...I am beside myself. I just couldnt do anything. Even the strongest ones succumbed to whatever this was. I have been researching frantically and even though the stress from the horrific shipping didn't help, I don't feel that is what all this was. I am afraid it was pullorum disease. Because it started with the one after everyone had seemed to start recovering from the shipping. And each has progressed in the exact same manner. If this is the case, the one chick must have gotten from her mother through the yolk. So sad. Absolutely nothing I did helped.

Hey, it'll be okay. I know it's hard. I just lost a hen lost night to something, and I'm not even sure what. At least realize that by having gone through this, the next time it happens or you hear about it you can offer your input and maybe help someone else. It'll be okay.
hugs.gif

And the last one is almost done...I am beside myself. I just couldnt do anything. Even the strongest ones succumbed to whatever this was. I have been researching frantically and even though the stress from the horrific shipping didn't help, I don't feel that is what all this was. I am afraid it was pullorum disease. Because it started with the one after everyone had seemed to start recovering from the shipping. And each has progressed in the exact same manner. If this is the case, the one chick must have gotten from her mother through the yolk. So sad. Absolutely nothing I did helped.
It wasn't pullorum, but shipping stress that killed your chicks. It's always a little risky shipping chicks in February because of the cold weather, but shipping small groups is even worse. They put in heating packs, but those don't last long. It might be better to get a larger order next time, and sell the extra chicks. It usually costs the same to get a large order, than to get a few plus heat packs. Or you can get chicks locally from a farm store during chick days later this month. Sorry for your loss. Here is a good article I found on shipping stress from vet's point of view: http://www.upc-online.org/transport/71408shippingbirds.html

It wasn't pullorum, but shipping stress that killed your chicks. It's always a little risky shipping chicks in February because of the cold weather, but shipping small groups is even worse. They put in heating packs, but those don't last long. It might be better to get a larger order next time, and sell the extra chicks. It usually costs the same to get a large order, than to get a few plus heat packs. Or you can get chicks locally from a farm store during chick days later this month. Sorry for your loss. Here is a good article I found on shipping stress from vet's point of view: http://www.upc-online.org/transport/71408shippingbirds.html

Thank you for the articles. Today I went to my feed store for thier first chick day and purchased 6 rhode island red pullets. These girls are so active and eating and drinking. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they stay as healthy as they look now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom