They are growing (10 weeks old), and I'm thinking one might be a roo! (pic heavy) Australorps, Mottl

jennjenn6

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Eugene, OR
All these guys are in the 10-11 week range (except for the Java) and growing so fast! They are super fun (my first flock of chickens!) Any thoughts, comments, ideas on if they are mixes or not welcome! and guesses on the sex!

This is "Roo" 10 week old black Australorp. I have 2 Lorps and the other one is quite larger, developed feathers much sooner and has a tendency to sound like a goose, lol. This one is always first to greet me and has a tail that sticks straight up!

This is Ugly Betty the Black copper Maran. All my chicks are 10-11 weeks old right now. I'm almost thinking that it's not even a pure Maran like the feed store said. There is a green sheen to the feathers with light copper tinting at the end of some feathers.

Another shot of Ugly Betty There are a line of leg feathers down to the toe. HUGE feet already.

This is "Bean" the Mottled Java. She was a week younger then the others so about 9-10 weeks old

Here's a better shot of "Roo". See that crazy tail! Is it just that some develop slower? I got the two australorps at the same time.

This is Godzilla the other Lorp. Much larger and LOUDER, lol.

Here's another shot of "Roo" with my Golden sexlink "Henny Penny" and Godzilla (With Frenchie the Cochin in the bottom corner)

I'm not sure what was interesting in the dust bin- lol

This is JoJo. She is supposed to be a Buff Cochin, but I've noticed two black tail feathers, one on each side. (you can kinda see it in the picture, it looks like half a feather dipped in ink)​

Last edited:
thank you for the pictures!! I still haven't heard any crowing from anyone and we are at 15 weeks now. Sadly Godzilla my bigger Lorp had an unfortunate door malfuntion that killed her
hit.gif
. My Black Copper Maran is a bully and chases everyone around and makes weird noises, but no crowing. I'm still so new to chickens so I have no idea! lol. I'm thinking that "Roo" may just be a smaller hen. Their combs and wattles don't look much different even now just a little bit redder. What age do they start growing bigger combs?

I am so sorry about Godzilla. It is heartbreaking to lose one. I have lost 6 in the last 2 years from different health issues. I am sure G is up in chicken heaven running around with my girls.

Your "bully" is probably the top of the pecking order and just showing who is boss. Right now I have a mama hen who has 6 weeks old chicks and she can be mean! My top hen is scared of her and (everyone) runs clear of her.

My girls wattles seem to get larger and redder the closer they are to laying. I have some 18 and 19 week olds and one has reddened up and squatted last week and the other is reddening up now.

I am so sorry about Godzilla. It is heartbreaking to lose one. I have lost 6 in the last 2 years from different health issues. I am sure G is up in chicken heaven running around with my girls.

Your "bully" is probably the top of the pecking order and just showing who is boss. Right now I have a mama hen who has 6 weeks old chicks and she can be mean! My top hen is scared of her and (everyone) runs clear of her.

My girls wattles seem to get larger and redder the closer they are to laying. I have some 18 and 19 week olds and one has reddened up and squatted last week and the other is reddening up now.
Thank you
smile.png
I cried for a full day when she died (first one I've ever lost). I noticed that the bully tends to pick on my one cochin who is kinda a dingbat, lol. I have two places for food and water so she's always able to eat, but she is just so mellow that she runs, lol. I noticed today that my sex-link suddenly has wattles that hang down a little! Maybe we are moving closer to eggs! I can't really figure out their pecking order though. There seems to be a top 3 right now, and the 2 cochins and mottled Java are the bottom 3. They are so sweet and passive. I can't believe how much keeping chickens has entertained me, and endeared me to them! I figure when one goes broody I will get some fertilized eggs from someone and let them do the work and either sell the chicks or keep them, don't know yet
big_smile.png

Just wanted to report that as of last week they are ALL 6 laying, often I get 5-6 eggs in a day!!! Confirmed they are girls
wee.gif

Congrats....Isn't it egg-citing.!!!!!!!

My 5 (then18/19 week olds in June) are all laying eggs now too!
It is SO cool! I'm coming up with foods to cook just so I can use all the eggs! The kids are loving them too. I have 2 nests for 6 chickens and I usually get 3 eggs in each container (I use plastic storage containers-lol) I got home from work and there were 6 eggs waiting!! When I read about the breeds I figured I'd get on average 3 eggs a day. Not 3 dozen a week!!

I have 10 week old lorps and have a strong feeling 5 of my 6 are male. Are there any def signs to tell the difference. I was told the males have 2 rows of inner wing feathers and hen only has one row... Can anyone tell me if that is true? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom