They aren’t roosting

My 8 hens aren’t using their roost and are ALL trying to sleep in one nesting box. I have 5 nesting boxes too. This is resulting in them laying eggs in the coop.
How do I get them to roost?how do I get them out of the boxes when they go in at night?
How old are they?

Adding my 2 cent question in too...I have 3 Americauna/Buff Orpington cross pullets (DOB 4/21/21 and 5/18/21) and they don't roost either. The Littles haven't had an opportunity as they were just put in the coop today but Chickie Nuggie I just noticed it sleeping perches on the front lip of the nesting box. I have a roost set up perpendicular from the nesting boxes and above the top wall of the boxes...but maybe it's too close to the coop wall??
I don't see a roost bar at all? Is it the bar where the feeder is hanging from? You need around 12" or more clearance from the wall so they're not smooshed against the wall.

That's where we were hoping they'd roost but it makes sense that it's too close. Is it "OK" to set it up perpendicular like that bar?? And how high is too high??
Perpendicular is fine. Ideally roosts should be higher than the nest boxes, however you need to consider landing space in front of the bar as well as clearance above the roost as well (they need 12" or more above the roost to gert on as well).

Back
Top Bottom