They arent ok

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
Ok, so I posted a couple weeks ago asking for help because we have been super hot and my girls look like they're struggling. I provide cold water, deep shade, fans, frozen water bottles, and frozen treats daily. I also have been wetting the ground. Most said they'll be ok, the panting is ok. Guys, they're not ok. I've had 5 die. 3 since yesterday. I'm moving them into my garage. It's not air conditioned but it's cooler than outside. I'll move the fan with them and continue the cold water and treats but how to I do the daylight, nighttime thing? There's no windows in the garage. I have to move them because they are struggling so bad. We hit 121 today.

I'm in north Texas, and mine haven't all been OK either. I've lost two very special hens in the last month since we've had 2 separate excessive heat warnings. (Heat index up to 115.) Both hens were 8 years old. I'm doing everything I can too. I currently have 3 broodies incubating their eggs in nest boxes inside my house, because I don't want to risk losing the hens. (That has happened before.) The only thing I'm doing that you didn't mention, is giving them shallow pans of cool well water to stand in and cool their feet. Since your hens are now in your garage, you could put a portable air conditioner in there for them. I used to know someone in Houston that raised Alaskan Malamutes, and in the summer that's exactly what they did to keep their dogs cool. I can't comprehend what it's like to keep chickens when winters get to 20-50 degrees below zero F, and I don't think northerners can comprehend what extreme summer heat is like either. It's tough, and I am very sorry for your losses.

If your garage doesn't have an overhead light, you will need to provide artificial light such as lamps, flashlights, etc.
Forgot to mention that. I do have a kiddie pool ou there also that I add blocks of ice to. The garage does have an overhead light but do I just shut it off at night? Should I go from the overhead to a lamp so it gradually gets darker?

I know your hens would appreciate it if they have some warning before their lights go out! Ive left a rechargeable flashlight in the chicken coop before, because I entered at night, and the hens got off their roosts to eat. They probably had light for a couple hours or so as the flashlight gradually dimmed. Again, whatever you can think of to cause light in the garage to gradually dim, I'm sure your chickens would appreciate it. Otherwise, where they are standing when the lights suddenly go out is where they will stay until you turn the lights back on the next day.

In addition to Allsfair's suggestions, you might also get one of the night lights that glows red (not the other weird colors) and have that plugged in overnight until the girls get used to the surroundings. Lowes has them. I used one when I transitioned my chicks to the outdoor coop last year.

Have a non-slip surface for them to stand/walk on; could be anything you can put down that won't get super hot. A cloth painter's tarp, or Puppy Wee Wee pads placed next to each other, then covered with pine shavings. Also put some roosts or short boxes or low step stool or likewise for them to climb and roost on, something that won't tip over.

I'm in the Hill Country and feel for your situation; this is survival mode.

Ok, so I posted a couple weeks ago asking for help because we have been super hot and my girls look like they're struggling. I provide cold water, deep shade, fans, frozen water bottles, and frozen treats daily. I also have been wetting the ground. Most said they'll be ok, the panting is ok. Guys, they're not ok. I've had 5 die. 3 since yesterday. I'm moving them into my garage. It's not air conditioned but it's cooler than outside. I'll move the fan with them and continue the cold water and treats but how to I do the daylight, nighttime thing? There's no windows in the garage. I have to move them because they are struggling so bad. We hit 121 today.
This is what I've been using for the past two years in Southern New Mexico. It's a trampoline mister. We've had triple digits for a month now. I have seen a slight drop in egg production, but the chickens are ok. I leave one side of the run dry and also the cage under the coop for their dust bath, but there are times during the day when I'd rather be in the chicken run because it's hotter in the house. Swamp coolers... Y'all know what I mean. The bad part is that the mister side gets mucky, I have an insanely aggressive rooster, and I'm afraid, one of these times, I'm going to slip in the mud, fall, and get slapped around by him. Just don't run too much water pressure through it. You only need enough for a strong mist. I ran too much in the beginning and had it pop apart and just dump water everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TH5TPJ...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

We've also had sustained heat over 115 for many more days in a row than usual. We haven't lost any chickens, however I have been reading much on a local FB chickens site.

A couple things I've noted is that ice and frozen treats seem to be a common negative factor among those losing chickens. The comments there suggest that frozen treats make it too difficult for the chicken, that it is too much fluctuation to eat or drink freezing cold stuff and then heating back up.

So ice may not be your best friend in this heat...unless it is just being used inside a water bucket to cool (not freeze) the drinking water. (The water temp in our shaded water bucket was over 101 before adding a frozen water bottle to cool it down a little.)

Same goes for wading pool. No need to put ice in it. If the pool is in the shade, the water is cool enough to cool the chickens down.

Treats, like watermelon, are refrigerator-cold, not frozen.

Misters don't get turned on unless it gets to 105. They don't get the wading pool unless it's over 100-105. I figured that if they are going to have to handle 115-120 temps, they better be able to handle 100 and below without wading pools or misters.

From what I'm seeing among those losing chickens, at least here in the Phoenix area, it's often those that are over-compensating for the heat. The more ice and frozen treats, the more deaths, it seems. While others' chickens seem fine with no ice, no misters but just shade and wading pools. Just wanted to share what I'm seeing around here. Maybe there is something to this.

Back
Top Bottom