They cant be...

Sneaky Chicken

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2016
The Garden State
I got my two Black Copper Marans, Dottie & Priscilla, at around 6 weeks old. As they grew, I started to questions whether or not they were actually BCMs. Theyve got BEAUTIFUL blues and greens in their feathers and I thought at one point that if I held them in the sun just right, I could see the slightest hint of copper on their heads/necks. Can someone clarify if its possible for them to be BCMs. If they are not, what could they be? Also, dont mind their resting b*tch face!
lol.png

I know getting the correct copper color is a challenge for breeders, so you can't necessarily go by that.

That said, they do look a little off to me. I have only my hens to compare to, but mine are fluffy and looser feathered, and broader, with less upright tails.

I think these birds have yellow skin? Hard to tell in the pics. Marans are white skinned birds, the legs look pink. And I know there are clean legged Marans, but I'm always leery of them unless I see parent stock and eggs.

I know getting the correct copper color is a challenge for breeders, so you can't necessarily go by that.

That said, they do look a little off to me. I have only my hens to compare to, but mine are fluffy and looser feathered, and broader, with less upright tails.

I think these birds have yellow skin? Hard to tell in the pics. Marans are white skinned birds, the legs look pink. And I know there are clean legged Marans, but I'm always leery of them unless I see parent stock and eggs.

They are only 3 months old so they still have some growing to do! They should be the first to lay eggs, though bc they are my oldest girls.

Their skin is more white than yellow, sorry about the pic! Maybe I can get a better one and post that so you can get a better look.

This is my first rodeo so when you say "clean-legged," do you mean legs without feathers?

Thanks for your help!

WOW!!! They are BEAUTIFUL!!!! The one on the bottom looks almost gray, unless its just the way the light is hitting her. I love how fluffy and chunky they are! I cant wait till mine get to be that big. Although Im loving every stage! I miss my babies, but the older they get, the more entertaining they are!

Back
Top Bottom