They choke on EVERYTHING!

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
I'm still having problems with my peas choking on food. I give super market food about once a week (I get the throw aways). All my other poultry species just peck at things but the peas pick up an entire peice and try to swallow it Every Single Time. Last time I seriously had to wait until one of my peas passed out so I could get the grape out of it's throat. (I'd have done it earlier but they won't let me catch them) Most of the time they manage to choke it back up but honestly it's upsetting for me to watch them choking and to hear them rasping for breath. I don't really want to stop the super market food. All my birds absoultely love it and I love how I get so much to supplement my food bill. My peas are about 8 months now. Will they grow out of this?

I'm still having problems with my peas choking on food. I give super market food about once a week (I get the throw aways). All my other poultry species just peck at things but the peas pick up an entire peice and try to swallow it Every Single Time. Last time I seriously had to wait until one of my peas passed out so I could get the grape out of it's throat. (I'd have done it earlier but they won't let me catch them) Most of the time they manage to choke it back up but honestly it's upsetting for me to watch them choking and to hear them rasping for breath. I don't really want to stop the super market food. All my birds absoultely love it and I love how I get so much to supplement my food bill. My peas are about 8 months now. Will they grow out of this?
No, they won't grow out of it (or at least mine haven't). I have adults that will eat whole strawberries/grapes/cherry tomatoes, etc... Cut into bit sized pieces if they are passing out.

Back
Top Bottom