They did it again, gave me a rooster, I ordered a hen!

Holly cow! Thanks for the pic, unbelievable! How devastating for you, sorry for your loss. Thank goodness I don’t have to deal with bears only snakes here. A full grown carpet snake will take a chicken or a cat but usually get caught on the way out because they can’t fit through the wire. Then they get operated on so the victim gets a decent burial before the snake is incinerated.

That picture breaks my heart. Poor baby. I've lost a few chickens to something around here (thinking a fox) but to see an image of your chicken being snatched is just horrible.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. But a person has to remember vent sexing chicks in not 100% accurate. There is always a chance of getting a cockerel. I a person wants 100% pullets you have to order Sexlinks.

How horrible to see that bear with the poor chicken. One bycer has a lot of Bears around. She used firecrackers to send them on their way. Now if she Just opens her door, they take off. Of course you have to see them first.

Many folks swear by high powered electric fencing. Bears don't get shocked if their fur touches the wire. They need their muzzle/face to touch the wires. People (turn off fence first) put strips of aluminum foil on fence and smear the foil with peanut butter. Bear smells peanut butter and tries to take it. Next second bear is running for its life.

Would rather see that imagine on your camera. So very sorry for your loss.
Thanks, we are working on getting electric fence up and running now. The bears usually come in the fall so we have a bit of time. The predators around here only come out at night. Probably because we have 4 dogs that are outside all day but inside at night!

@Peppercorngal
Keep in mind, most hatcheries have a 90, or 95% sexing guarantee.
Vent sexing is hard to do, and it is not accurate all the time, thus the 95 accuracy. So, it isn't really their fault. When you order from them, you agree to that. They will probably refund you.
Note: you have a Dominique roo.

Back
Top Bottom