They don't know what to make of the first snow, PIC

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

:rolleyes:We got a couple inches here this morning and my girls were hollering and carrying on wanting out so I finally let them out expecting them to turn around and go right back in. That was at ten this morning. They are still out and it is still snowing. Crazy Girls!
idunno.gif

My pullets were very curious about their first snow, the hens.....not so much. They thought it was great fun to inspect/eat it...but now they avoid it for the most part
smile.png
Thankfully they have a covered run so they can get out without getting their "feet white".

Funny, mine LOVE to eat snow. It doesn't seem to hurt them. I would think it would make them cold, but they seem perfectly normal.

Quote:
HA!! that is funny stuff!

the last snow we had I got tired of the chickens being scared of it, so I made them go out in it. I shut the chicken house so they couldn't run back in and one by one I ousted them. I tossed them into the run, and they wouldn't even land in the snow..they flew right over against the chicken house..It looked like a big ball of feathers with legs ...and they would NOT move! My rooster..he actually got some nerve and ventured into it some.. but then froze, standing on one leg, the other one just barely up.. and Eyes wide open with a horrified look on his face!
lau.gif
HA!

so then I felt sorry for them and took a snow shovel and made a path to the door and opened the house up....they actually FLEW over the little strip of snow onto the bare spot and darted for their lives into the building!! it was HYSTERICAL to watch!!
gig.gif

we have snow again..and they weren't even thinking about coming out..didn't even come to the door to peek out..

chickens and snow!! hahahaha
lau.gif

It's funny to watch my girls take really high steps with each foot! I wish we could get little snow shoes so they could walk on top without their bellys dragging through the snow
tongue.png

Last edited:
Mine weren't very excited about it either. But my rooster (Link, my daughters named him after the Legend of Zelda hero) he took a fancy to crow his little heart out as the stuff fell down. They were all kinda avoiding it as my run is about half covered. I squated my way under the top and raked the snow away after I had put another tarp over the top. Ah good times but I'm glad they are able to get around a little bit anyway
smile.png

My chickens don't seem to mind the snow at all. But a couple weeks ago, we had a few cold days and the chickens decided not to leave their coop. I started getting concerned that they weren't coming out at all. Then when my daughter went out to feed them (after 10 days of them not leaving the coop) she took one out to play with it. As soon as that one was out, the rest came too. I guess they forgot that they like it better outside. Either that, or none of them wanted to be the first one to come out.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom