"They don't lay in the winter."

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DaddyChicken, Nov 17, 2011.

1. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    BTW, I didn't say that, I have told that twice since last week by two different people I bought hens from. Both kept their chickens in pens with no coop. It was sad.

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    If I were stuck in a pen I wouldn't lay eggs either..

3. AlaskaGrownEggs

AlaskaGrownEggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    Wasilla, AK
    Well of course they are not going to lay in the winter. They have no place to be warm enough to do it.
    So sad what people will do to animals.[​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It's photo period that affects laying, not heat per se. That's why some people provide artificial light in the winter, to try to stimulate continued laying.

Chickens don't need an traditional, closed coop, and in fact those kinds of coops can be deathtraps in the summer in places that get hot weather. They do need a place to stay dry and out of drafts in cold weather, though.

5. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    When I said they didn't have a coop, included was no to very little cover and no artificial lighting.

6. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    Some people down the street from me came and got some eggs from me a week ago because they said there hens stopped laying a couple weeks back all of mine are still laying about 2 eggs every 3 days a couple lay pretty much everyday. Since we live in the same area I wouldnt think its light or temps the only noticeable difference is that my birds arent free range but there yard is so big they pretty much are, and theres are in a pen thats kinda small, also my birds just look healthier in general. So that just leads me to believe there diet is a very important factor in laying. Ive raised many thousands of animals and I would have to say a little diversity in there diets goes a long way, animals fed the same thing all the time tend to be much less healthy, I even know some people that make there birds vegetarians, its just so wrong those birds look like they want to die believe me. Also Ive raised enough quail to know at least with them that heat isnt a factor in laying but light definitely is, its easy to tell for sure when you have a large group to observe.

7. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Breed of birds and age are huge factors in winter laying. Also egg eating like feather picking are more likely to become problems in birds that are cooped up, crowded and don't get outside to play.

My nephew has birds that aren't laying and they receive great care and food and we live near each other. Mine are laying good. I have BO and rocks and they lay well year round. Mine are under 1 yr of age. He is not sure how old his are because someone gave him a small flock. They are game birds and when I looked up info on them it said they lay sping, summer and early fall.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Mine are also under 1 year and I think they are all laying now. The just started a few months ago. I'm getting more eggs per day this week than I ever have [​IMG]

9. AlaskaGrownEggs

AlaskaGrownEggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    Wasilla, AK
    What I meant when I said warm, I meant that they can't have drafts and the correct surroundings.

Just wanted to clear that up.

10. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Our chickens slowed down a bit in winter, but never truly stopped. As SOON as the days started getting longer again--within three days of the solstice--the number of eggs started going up. Now instead of averaging 7 eggs a day, we average 13.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by