They don't like their new food???

Kimmiejean

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Last week I went and bought a different brand of layer mash(it was on sale). Some of them also started laying eggs last week - woohoo! They just don't seem to eat as much of it as the previous brand I purchased...any ideas? I'm new to chickens, just want to make sure my girls are getting what they need. I normally give them 2 treats a day bread for a treat in the morning, sometimes peas or cooked carrots, lettuce or raisins at night. My husband will also throw in grass after mowing the lawn. Do you think I should be worried? They seem to act ok, they are NOT free range chickens.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. Chickens eat anything and everything it seems. I have switched between Dumor and Purina Layena sp? with no noticable differences. Maybe they got too much "other" stuff and just weren't as hungry.

Thanks for your replies, I guess I'll wait and watch and see what happens. Now that some of them are laying I wouldn't want to do anything to stop progress
wink.png

If they are eating it, stop worrying.

Different brands of feed contain different nutrition. Some is easier to digest or will contain a better source of protein and they will eat less of that.

Back
Top Bottom