They each stay with their own Kind!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rocmoc, Nov 10, 2009.

1. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    We have noticed something interesting. Each of the different variety of chicken in our family stays with their own kind most of the time. They even roost in groups in the coop.

Also our EEs seem more game bird like than any of our other chickens. They play rougher and fly & roost higher. They remind us of hawks sometimes.

Just interesting to watch! In case you are wondering we have Plymouth Barred Rock (gentle ladies), Red Sex Link (hyper & cranky), Silver Wyandott (loners), EE (exciting to watch & top of the pecking order), Polish (poor things are at the bottom of the pecking order & goofy), White Rock (Gentle, beautiful, mellow & BIG) & one Unknown (doesn't take C**p from anyone but not the Top of the order, loner but travels with everyone). AND they all stay to each grouping!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine tend to stick with the ones they were in the brooder with, no matter what breed they are. I guess the fact that I don't have very many of the same breeds makes a difference, huh? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    You've never heard the old saying: Birds of a feather flock together. I've heard that one all my life and it holds true also.

Another is: You don't see the red-birds mixing with the black-birds.

catdaddy

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    My orpingtons stick together, my ee's used to stick together, and my br stick together. We'll have to wait when the polish are introduced!

5. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do the same thing. They were all in the brooder together. I got them as day olds. Could they have learned the sounds of their own hatch mates in the few hours they were together after hatching, before they were mixed with the rest of my order? Now they pair off within the same breed, but unless they have a mirror, how do they know what THEY look like? Fascinating!

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Mine have always divided themselves by breed as well, except the randy teenage roosters. When the hormones hit they aren't picky LOL.

I have silkies & d'Uccles in the brooder. The d'Uccles are of 2 different ages, and when I mixed them the younger trio didn't stick together, but mingled with their older siblings. Now that the younger trio is in with the smaller silkies they are always together again. I thought that was intersting.

7. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:Thanks I have and just went over my head. The pecking order saying did not.

rocmoc n AZ

8. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Same here. My high school son even categorized them by behavior

Speckled Sussex - Seniors
    Delawares - Juniors
    Welsummers - Sophomores
    Ameraucanas - Freshmen

When we still had CornX broilers, they were more like "Fat Albert".

While the group mix from time to time, the Sussex are ALWAYS together, the rooster making sure no one bothers his ladies.

They were all brooded together.

9. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Mine do the same, BO's together, BR's together, and White rocks together, too bad one of our red stars died, because our other one is now alone!!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by