Feedback on observations of breeds...

Possum-Pie

Songster
Jun 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
We got a Buff Orpington, a Barrd Rock, and two black Austrolorps 2 1/2 years ago. We recently introduced 4 new 2-year-old hens adopted from someone who couldn't keep them. Another Barrd Rock, another black Austrolorp, an easter egger, and a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

We have 1 Rooster, a Welsummer and he gets along with all of the hens.

My observation is that the two Barrd Rocks are both bullies. They don't harm anyone else but push and peck everyone out of their way to get food/treats/water. They will be munching on a pile of cracked corn and see the others pecking at a different pile, and run over and push them away.

The Buff Orpington was the sweetest, most laid-back hen I had, but a hawk got her.

The two black Austrolorps are laid back but near the top of the pecking order. Not intimidated by Barrd Rocks, just ignore them. They generally roost beside the rooster. One of my original Austrolorps died of unknown causes.

The Easter egger and the Wyandotte are the bottom rung of the pecking order. If ANY of the other hens come near, they quickly move aside. They are inseparable, eating, drinking, and foraging together. They often spend much of the day crammed in one nesting box if the others come in the coop, and won't go into the run unless I put them there.

SO.....Question: Do Barrd Rocks tend to be mean in general? I'm considering getting rid of them b/c there is no breaking them of this constant bullying. Are EEs and SLWs prone to being bullied? I didn't know the history of them before I got them, only that they came from a flock of 16 hens. I don't want to over-generalize a breed's behaviors, each bird is different, but what are your experiences with these breeds? The internet reads like a Horoscope when Googling a breed's temperament: "Super-friendly, laid-back, sweet, etc" for every breed. One site did mention that Plymouth Rock's in general can bully, but that was all I could find.

I think maybe some breeds might be considered more aggressive and some more docile but mostly it’s just the individuals. I have one Easter Egger who is bossy and sorta mean but the rest of my Easter Eggers are really laid back and sweet. My buff Orpingtons are both very sweet, my black austrolorps are close to top of order but never bother anyone. And I also have Wyandottes some are docile and sweet and some are moody and bossy. So I thinks it’s just the individual! Good luck with them!

My Barred Rock, Prudence, is very nice; she does peck my Cream Legbar Wilhelmina when they go to roost at night but other than that she’s very laid back and neither bothers nor is bothered by anyone else.

I was sort of picked on a lot in school and have a tender spot for the underdogs. As I said, no injuries, but I've had to resort to throwing treats outside for the flock, closing the coop door, and giving the EE and SLW their treats separately else they get none. I hate doing that b/c it attracts mice. The new hens were introduced 3 weeks ago, and it looks like the BR and Austrolorp have finally begun integrating in with the original flock, maybe the other two need more time.

Mommygirl, every Buff Orpington I've ever met seemed gentle and sweet. As I said, my black Austrolorps are definitely top of the pecking order, but never bother anyone else.

My barred rock is about the middle of the flock and she definately lets her position be known. But she knows exactly who she can and cannot act that way with. I have heard barred rocks are cliquey so having 2 of them together might empower them.

My SLW is a baby and is at the bottom of the pecking order, but mine is outgoing and not too scared of anyone else. I do not think she will end up at the bottom of the pecking order.

But that's just mine...my brahmas are at the top of the pecking order in my flock, which from what I hear, is not the most common thing.

UPDATE:
4 weeks since the integration of new hens to flock. New BR and new Austraulorp follow the old flock out of the coop in the morning. EE and SLW still will not go outside. A few warm sunny days I round them up and put them outside, and they will stay in the run but away from the others. I haven't gotten an egg in months, Stress of a molt, stress of a hawk attack, stress of new additions to the flock. Any suggestions about getting the two to go outside? I hate physically catching them and putting them outside b/c the EE screams like I'm killing her and the rest of the flock including the rooster get upset.

Mid September I bought 2 pullets, about 20 week old greeneggers but I suspect one of them is 4 weeks younger) I had 1 chicken left, a light Sussex after my white leghorn died) it took forever to get them to go outside of the run, they were afraid of everything... But once the oldest became friends with the Sussex they all went outside. Since about two weeks the're even comfortable enough to sit on my lap.
I didn't force them it just took patience

Update on Update...
We are at week 5 now. All new hens have integrated with the original flock except the EE and SLW...they still are inseparable and won't leave the coop. I fear that I have created a bad situation by throwing their daily cracked corn/ black fly larvae treats inside the coop to them b/c I was sad that they missed out. They have no reason to leave and are both low hen on the pecking order. Any other bird enters the coop they both (together) jump in a nesting box or up on the roost. I think it is cute that they have each other but really want them to integrate some with the rest of the flock. Not that the others help- they all chase the EE and SLW away if they get too near.

Yes I created that problem too by giving them food and water in their coop, but that attracted mice so I had to put it outside... And then they came out ... after a couple hours

Sigh...my EE and SLW still will not go out. I can't bring myself to stop giving them treats inside b/c the others are so dominant that they would never get a mealworm or a bit of cracked corn. I keep the mice at bay with traps, but every morning I find dead mice in the traps so the corn is definitely luring more mice into the coop. Luckily the coop is separated from the food storage area so the hens aren't hurt by the traps for mice. On one hand, it is so tender to see the EE and SLW buddying up together, sleeping together, and supporting each other, but Jeez...they will never establish a spot in the pecking order if they don't go outside and deal with the others. The rest of the newly adopted hens have merged into the original flock, but these two nervous nellies...My wife says "just give away the Bard Rocks" as they are the biggest bullies, but I want to try to give them a chance. Nobody is getting injured, just nasty pushing and pecking but I'm losing patience with the Bard Bullies.

Back
Top Bottom