They hatched!!

oldwynooche

Songster
9 Years
May 29, 2013
Wynooche Valley, Washington
Cleo sat on 21 eggs for 3 weeks and hatched 7 chicks over the weekend. We're so excited! Leon the Rooster is a full blooded Plymouth Barred Rock, so looking at the chicks we think we have mostly cockerels, but will wait until they're older to make final calls.
IMG_20200601_104141517.jpg

We took the eggs that didn't hatch, after a couple days. She wasn't spending as much time on the nest anymore, so I guess she decided they weren't good eggs or that she had enough kids to watch! I don't think she cares whether they're girl chicks or boy chicks. She's got them all moving around in the coop, getting food and water and grit. She hasn't brought them outside yet.

IMG_20200607_095405186.jpg
Six of the chicks at 1 week. The 7th is just foraging elsewhere. Wing and tail feathers are coming in and some are growing combs faster than others (males?). I know about sight-sexing Barred Rock chicks, but these are half BR and half other things so it's hard to tell for sure. I guess we'll just have to wait. Which is part of the fun.

View attachment 2185805Six of the chicks at 1 week. The 7th is just foraging elsewhere. Wing and tail feathers are coming in and some are growing combs faster than others (males?). I know about sight-sexing Barred Rock chicks, but these are half BR and half other things so it's hard to tell for sure. I guess we'll just have to wait. Which is part of the fun.

How fun.
I'm expecting my broody to finally be a momma this Saturday.
First time I've ever let a broody hatch eggs, so I'm super excited.

Back
Top Bottom