They haven't left yet!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Sep 24, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At the risk of causing Nifty further embarrasment.... [​IMG]

The hummingbirds haven't left yet. My feeders are usually cleaned and stored away by now.
    They emptied my two - one quart feeders in one day, yesterday. I just went out, refilled and re-hung them; with a hummer hovering near my shoulder while I did.
    I used to take the feeders down around the first of September, but recently learned you should leave em up for two weeks after you see the last hummer in the fall. Two??? There's at least 20 of the little boogers out there right now.
    The spiders are "saying" that it's going to be a cold, nasty winter. The hummers say differently? [​IMG]

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Maybe it is gonna be a bad winter, just starting late...? What is it that the spiders say? I hadn't heard that one.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:We have an overabundance of spider webs this year. Many, many orb weavers. We like to watch them at night. The other night we counted eight webs in one tree and two in another.

4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Maybe they're sticking around because you're still feeding them?

Frozen hummers, anyone?

Wait. That didn't sound right. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I haven't seen any of mine for a couple of days so I think they may have finally taken off. Mine are usually gone a couple weeks by now. I always leave my feeders up for a couple of weeks after they've taken off so if any pass thru they can stop in and eat.

6. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Mine have gone too i haven't seen them since last week.
    I'm still leaving the feeder up just in case [​IMG]

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I'm in Arkansas too and was just debating taking them down, they're empty now but have noticed a couple hovering around them.

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I still have them here also. Maybe we are getting them migrating south. I will still keep feeding them untill I don't see them anymore. [​IMG]

9. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Just saw hummingbirds on the vine flowers yesterday, but this is Georgia. And as far as those orb weavers...
    [​IMG]

Not as many of these particular spiders around this year, but gosh this one is bold. Lots of spiders IN the house of other kinds. Does that count?

10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    We still have hummingbirds around here too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by