They just ain't right...

jcintennessee

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2015
I am new to backyard chickens. I have been around farm raised a lot in my life but was never responsible for their care. 2 of my girls are really, really big! I'm getting concerned for their health. Please help.

How old are they? Is it possible you ended up with cornish crosses on accident? They grow fast and unfortunately need to be butchered or they can have heart attacks and their legs can break under their own weight.

Where did you get them? If they were sold to you as leghorns, or as layers, I'd go back to the seller for a refund. This seems to happen quite often, and sellers need to be responsible and not misrepresent their stock. On the other hand, home grown meat is a bonus.

How long have you had them? Asking because, at this stage, a matter of a couple weeks can make a big difference in them - and "about three months" can mean different numbers of weeks to different people - getting a better feel of their age in weeks would help in assessing them.
They are not Wyandottes. They definitely appear to be Cornish X birds....can you get a photo of them next to one of your other chicks so we can get an idea of the scale?

Last edited:
We bought them from Rual King the 2nd week of May. We also bought other birds. I only know for sure I have an Americaner. As in one, 2 guinnies and five others. I can send some pictures. We don't mind if they're for food, we hunt and are all about eating as natural as possible. Just want to keep them healthy.

We bought them from Rual King the 2nd week of May. We also bought other birds. I only know for sure I have an Americaner. As in one, 2 guinnies and five others. I can send some pictures. We don't mind if they're for food, we hunt and are all about eating as natural as possible. Just want to keep them healthy.

If they were purchased the second week of May they are most likely not nearly 3 months old - *most* chicks sell out from retail stores within the first 1-2 weeks of their arrival (stores will often reduce the price on birds after the first week to move them out and make room for new chicks and because they aren't really set up to brood them long-term). Do you have any photos of them when you first purchased them? Seeing them as they were will help to gauge their approximate age at purchase and their age now (I would put them at 8 weeks at the most, but leaning closer to 6 from the looks of them). Cornish Cross are genearlly processed between 8-10 weeks of age due to their rapid growth and development.
Also, sidenote, the Ameraucana you were sold is actually an Easter Egger - same general idea, but the difference is Ameraucana are a pure breed and Easter Eggers are mixed breed birds that have blue egg laying parentage (Ameraucana, Araucana, Legbar, etc) - these are often misrepresented by hatcheries as being Ameraucana or Araucana. Personally, I prefer the EE, as they tend to be more productive layers than either of the breeds they are sold as being and they come in a wider variety of colors and patterns.

Back
Top Bottom