They just arrived!

LizStreithorst

Songster
Dec 25, 2016
Moselle Mississippi USA
I'm a first timer at hatching my own so I'm pumped. One arrived with a crack but the lady sent 4 extras! I have them in cardboard egg cartons for a few days before I put them in the incubator my borrowed incubator. my Bielefelder eggs will arrive tomorrow. I'm going to have a ton of chicks when they hatch. at least I'll be able to tell the roosters from the pullets as soon as they hath.

Are you going to incubate the cracked egg ? If so you might want to seal the crack with wax and keep an especially close eye on that egg as it may become rotten.

I gave it to one of the dogs but he didn't eat it. It's still on the living room floor. I don't have wax but it's just a surface spider web crack. Is it worth giving it a try? How will I know if it starts to rot? will it bleed stuff from the crack? I sure don't want it to blow up on all the good eggs.

Cracked eggs are really hard to incubate and might not be worth it. I had an accident with an egg shell crack during incubation, but that was at day 20 so the chick was okay. I generally only let my mail order eggs rest 12-24 hrs cuz I get so excited. You are going to want to candle your eggs ( I use a cellphone flashlight) at various points in incubation to check for life and weed out bad eggs. Happy hatching!

It doesn't matter. I went to rescue the egg and another dog was carrying around in her mouth. She's an egg stealer and the reason I need to build raised nests to the outside of my hen house before these eggs turn into layers. I can do carpentry, but not well.

Y'all sure are nice. Everyone remembers how exciting the first time was. Nobody said an unkind word about me being so unsure of myself.

I know about candling the eggs and I have a close neighbor who will help me interpret what I see. She's the one who loaned me the incubator.

The best candling I ever I was able to catch on camera. You could see toes and legs kicking. I love watching them develop! The second best one I ever had was a duck egg where at day 6 you could see the heart beating. I really want to hatch this spring, but am under strict orders from my husband not to because he thinks that 17 chickens and 7 ducks is plenty lol. I disagree but I also have trouble wuth chicken math lol!

Back
Top Bottom