They just don't know what they are missing

Darklingstorm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Durant, Oklahoma
I can't get anyone to try a duck egg for breakfast. I get looks of shock, (I can't believe you would eat that..kind of look). I try to reassure them that it good and isn't much different then chicken eggs but no deal.
Oh well, guess DH,DS and I will just have to enjoy them all by ourselves.

You mean friends, neighbors, work colleagues etc? They sure are missing out!!!

What about making a cake or custard tart with duck eggs and telling them they were duck eggs AFTER they have eaten and pronounced the cake delicious
wink.png

Duck eggs are the best!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Ps. I think we need more duck smilies....

I was gonna suggest the cake thing too-but even if you told them beforehand it might still make it less frightening for them all mixed in and baked. It's silly, but I was sort of one of those people. I knew they'd be fine to eat, I wanted to try them, but I was afraid they'd taste strange and I wouldn't like them (and then I couldn't justify getting ducks!). So I started with pancakes, and they were fine, so I told myself "all right, they can't be awful." then I moved up to a breakfast sandwhich made with thick bread and sharp cheddar, and that was fine, and then I was finally ready to try one on its own!

If you're not gonna tell them, go about it casually. Just leave the cake out somewhere with a note to 'help yourself.' If anyone asks, you'll have to admit there are duck eggs-even when you find it silly, you've gotta respect what other adults choose to eat or not. No all-out lying, ok? It's a small difference, but if it's something that really matters to them, they'll ask. As a vegetarian, if I eat something without asking and it turns out there's meat in it, it's my own dang fault. Now, if someone tells me it's meat -free and I eat it but there really is meat in it...I'd be so angry. See what I'm saying?

Ain't it something? Here in New England, many people - especially those with family from other countries - love duck eggs. But there are a few who won't even try them.

More for me!

Aw, more for you! I boil them and make deviled eggs to take to group events. They always get lots of oo's and aah's, and there are never any left at the end. I think some people just think they are giant chicken eggs and then, when they finally ask or I overhear them talking about the eggs, I let them in on the secret, and they're amazed.

'Taint nothing better than deviled duck eggs!

Back
Top Bottom