They just "fell" into my cart...

I do have some of her eggs, she laid the largest of any of the chickens and it is a slightly darker shade of beige than the others. (All the others are Salmon Faverolles except her buddy of 3 years who is a Lavender Gem).

I just cleaned the incubator, so..... But I also have 5 new chicks that Mama is taking care of and I think I have another broody hen.

I do think I have one of her chicks in the group that I incubated about two months ago. I thought it was a male Faverolle,s but it may be a mix of Tank and Big Red.

But I want to try to hatch some. They have a female and 2 drakes of the Welsh Harlequins. I wish they had a bigger gene pool with more females of these though, because they are so pretty. Maybe I can buy some more on ebay?
I know this post was in April, but, if you are still looking for Welsh Harlequin eggs, DM me! I have a bunch, and my hatch rates have been fabulous. I’m happy to ship fresh Welshie eggs (....and Holland White / bourbon red turkey eggs, but those are a bit more sparse as I only ended up w a few hens from my straight run turkey poult purchase!)

I have no idea how this happened! I was in Rural King getting cat food (yes, I cheated on Chewy, but it was $2/pack cheaper!), and suddenly I heard cheeping. Next thing I know, we are leaving with two RIR and four Dark Brahma chicks! 🤣🤣
I know I said I was only going to order my chicks from now on, but I just couldn't help myself. They are SO CUTE!View attachment 3461427View attachment 3461440
Just the way things go I am afraid!

Yes, I too fill my incubator frequently, chicken as well as goose.

Sad note, I had my favorite hen taken by some kind of animal this morning. She was called an Aquila at Big R when I bought her three years ago, but she looks like an Australorp.

Tank the Rooster is very upset. She was his favorite hen. 😔
We live with the state forest as our border. When I built my outdoor run I dug around the sides stapled hardware cloth and added a layer of rocks before filling it in. We have golden eagles nesting at the pond on our property so top of the run is also covered in hardware cloth as well as the sides. My Fort Knox. 🤞13 years and never been breached.

We live with the state forest as our border. When I built my outdoor run I dug around the sides stapled hardware cloth and added a layer of rocks before filling it in. We have golden eagles nesting at the pond on our property so top of the run is also covered in hardware cloth as well as the sides. My Fort Knox. 🤞13 years and never been breached.
Very good planning! My run is my property, all 10 acres, although I try to keep them close to home. Someone help me if the geese discover the pond half way down the driveway! All in all I have been very lucky. The biggest problem I have is with dogs that are allowed to run free, or escape without their owners knowledge. Most people have livestock of all sizes in this area and tend to me conscientious.

How are your unplanned peepers doing?
They are doing great! They are in the grow out brooder on the porch, which I hate, but the dust is so bad when they're in the house at this stage. I can't keep that room clean enough when they're in there. So DH made the command decision to put them on the enclosed porch with a bunch of fans.
I ended up with a DB cockrell and I think a RIR cockrell in this last bunch. 🤦🏼‍♀️
And the RIR that I think is a roo has a giant swollen eye. It's been swollen since the day I got him, so I treated it with terramycin for several weeks. It's still a huge eyeball. He doesn't seem affected by it, and it's not crusty, so we just let him be. They are all growing wonderfully and it won't be too long before they can go into Gen Pop. Just wish it wasn't so freaking hot here already. 🥵

Back
Top Bottom