They just won't lay. :-(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CluckyJay, Aug 10, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I got my 3 day old chicks on March the 13'th. RIRs and white leghorns. Still no eggs. [​IMG] They were free-range until a few days ago. I am feeding them Dumor layer feed. They squat and the roosters are constantly breeding them. I put some in one pen with the roosters and some in another with just hens, just in case there is an egg-eater. Still no eggs. [​IMG]

I KNOW I have heard egg songs but cannot find eggs. This is when they were free-ranging. So I penned them up because of having to hunt for eggs and predators. But still, I can find NO eggs. Mom's are 1 month younger than mine and she already has 2 eggs. It is hotter where she is too. [​IMG]

Are they eating their eggs? I search really hard for pieces of shell and even in their poo. I can't find any evidence of broken shells. We check several times a day too. [​IMG]

The chickens are from McMurray Hatchery so I figured they'd lay faster. sigh.

I'm gonna buy a bag of oyster shells and see if that helps. [​IMG]

They're fat, healthy, sleek, and all look so nice and fluffy-bottomed. [​IMG]

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I'm still waiting for my light sussex at 9months2weeks. [​IMG] I. Feel. Your. Pain.

3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Some chickens wont lay. And some chickens lay eggs with no shell so they could be eating it still.[​IMG]

4. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    But all out of several hens not laying? I think I am just an unlucky one that has to wait ten thousand years for them to mature. [​IMG] lol

I pray I do not have to wait that long pigeon!! :O Hugs.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My guidance, for what it is worth, is this.

Until you can establish their laying habits and account for their laying and so forth, don't "free range". I leave them in the barn (big 10x12 pens) or in the run next to the barn. When I know everyone is laying, which usually is by 1 pm, then I allow free ranging from 2pm until dusk. 90% of the birds finish laying by noon. It seems they get used to the idea that they need to come back to the barn and to their boxes to lay.

With ISA Browns it was so easy. Bang, bang, bang, they all laid at 7 am. With more traditional breeds, they spread out their laying more throughout the morning. Releasing young pullets, who have yet to really fixate on the nesting box, to range freely early in the day is asking for eggs to be laid almost anywhere, in my experience.

As always, YMMV.

6. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Quote:X2 with interest!

I have three 6+ mo old bantams not laying and none of the lf hens I raised from chicks in April are laying. They love making nests in the shavings, but no eggs! They are VERY interested in the year old hen I was given who decided to go broody a couple of days ago. I'll catch either the Bo s or the cinn queens in the coop cooing to her! It's kinda cute!

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Mine were hatched March 9th and I don't have eggs either.

8. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Thanks guys. I needed the pity pats, LOL.

I will be keeping the future pullets penned until they start laying. Stupid chickens. [​IMG] lol

The waiting game continues!

9. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I have 30 born 3/20. My white leghorns are laying - and one of my golden comets - but the other 20 - NADA.... At least I'm getting a few eggs. Best of luck to you. Hard to wait.. Sounds like they are close if they are squatting.

10. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Its really hot right now... They will probly lay when it cools off

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by