They keep dying

Rosakey

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2021
I’ve been incubating duck eggs and so far two eggs started to hatch out but died right in the middle of hatching. They had both gotten holes in their egg before they died so they didn’t suffocate and I managed to have one successfully hatch and he was perfectly healthy for two days but when I checked on him this morning he was dead, his pupils were white. I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong and I don’t want any more babies to needlessly die.

My
Is your incubator calibrated with an extra thermometer and humidity gauge? What's the brooder like? What were you feeding?
My incubator has its built in thermometer and humidity gauge and the brooder was a blue plastic tub that I kept in my room, it has a heat lamp that I turned on at night for the baby and I kept food and water in there. I was feeding him non medicated chick starter.

The white pupils comment interested me. I had a Pekin duckling that had many issues after hatching. Both his pupils were white and it was pretty apparent that he could not see. His feet were also turned inwards and he couldn't walk very well. He was getting around reasonably well for a week, then he started falling onto his back and could not right himself. Ended up culling him.
I don't really have any suggestions for you. I'm sorry about all this happening. It can get distressing sometimes. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom