They Know How to use the Roost....BUT

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Connorrm, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    They don't sleep on it. They run up and down the ramp to it all day. They are 5ish maybe 6ish weeks old. They are up there constantly but at night they sleep in the corner of the coop together.

Any thoughts?

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Dust the roost for mites. Those little buggers hide in wood and gnaw on your chickies all night while they try to sleep. It would be like trying to sleep in a prickly mattress for you and me.

Or, the roost may be too skinny for their growing feet. I think 2 inches is pretty good width.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  3. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I have 11 week pullets and they just started sleeping on the roost last week. I actually have to set them on the roost every night, because they can't quite jump to it yet (it's kinda high). The first week or so that I had them in the coop, they huddled in the corner together, just like you described.

I'd give them a few more weeks. Just set them on the roost at night when you tuck them in. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll get "the hint".

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I put the small cage I brooded the chicks in, in the coop with my 2 SLW hens. When time came to let them out, I left the cage in for their security. The silly birds still went back in their cage for weeks, then roosted on top of the cage, then finally rustled the "big girls" over for their share of the roost. [​IMG] They are 12 weeks old, if that helps.

5. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    I would hope it doesn't have mites! I just built it brand new from fresh lumber! They are 2x4s but laid together on the flat side. So they have four inches for their feet.

It's funny to watch them during the day they run up and down and all over it. At night - it's to the corner!

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Mine did this too at that age and for MONTHS beyond actually. They slept in the corner of the run rain or shine, until the first snow fall, when they FINALLY figured out going inside the coop might be a good idea. Then for several weeks they would sleep on the floor of the coop in a pile. Gradually they figured out the roost concept and now a year later about half roost and the other half stay on the floor. Some are Silkies though, so roosting isn't so big with them. I figure, as long as they are happy, I don't care. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by