They may not be happy but they made it through the night!

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
We hit record lows last night with the wind chill it was going down to -20 to -30. I went to check the chickens holding my breath. (they are all bantams). They are not happy with me. Squacking up a storm! Several were huddled together in one of the nesting boxes. Two in the wooden house that is in there coop. The warmest seems to be my broody in the dog carrier! And man was she happy when i gave her warm water!!!! I gave them extra (extra!) scratch. I am keeping them locked in the coop today though, I may let them out for an hour later when i can be home to keep an eye of them.

Last edited:
I have a pen of bantams and not all will roost. The ones that huddle together in corners seemed cold. So I did place door removed dog carriers and turned on their side wooden crates for them. Adding fresh grass hay in them every few days.

I have plenty of pine shavings on the floor but they still needed something to keep them warm.

I started using grass hay versus straw and it stays fluffier and they seem to enjoy sleeping in it.

Keeping them full of feed, especially before they go to sleep at night helps to keep them warm also.

A 'chicken' neighbor suggested using gallon water jugs at night to provide heat. My coop is small, 4 x 4, with nest box hanging off the side - so I fill 4 jugs with the hottest tap water I can get and place one in 3 corners and one near the middle of the two nest boxes. I dig them into the shavings for additional insulation. Have had them frozen solid a few mornings, but I'm hoping that the additional heat they provided helped the girls use less energy to keep warm for awhile.
smile.png

Quote:
You just described my set up exactly. here is rosie in the nest box next to her hot water bottle as we speak. They insisted on being let out this morning, but everyone seems fine.
48643_picture_7.png

Until I put a heater in my coop I was heating bricks in my oven, wrapping them three in a towel and placing them near where my hens usually slept. There was evidence that the hens roosted right on top of the bricks. Also there was a bit of warmth left in them by morning.

Jenny

New Chick - what a lovely coop you have!

And Miss Jenny that's another great idea! What temp/how long to get the bricks warm but still safe? My girls are so gonna love this! Thanks!

I live in MA, we had similar temps. It was scary- didn't know what I'd find in the morning, but they were all fine thankfully. I like the hot water bottle idea. Hopefully it won't get that cold again, but if it does I may try that. I am too paranoid to put a heat lamp out for them.

Back
Top Bottom