They really are omnivores!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kanga77510, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    It's raining cats and dogs here in southern Texas today and DH said one of the hens caught a frog! He said she worked very hard for it, and I'd know her when I saw her. Sure enough, one of my little red hens looked like she'd been swimming. I brought her in the chicken shed for a bit and held her in front of a heater. She looked like a drowned rat.

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    One of mine caught one last week. But it was.......frozen! Dug it out of a pile of leaves somewhere. And they all fought over it.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Mine don't seem to even notice them if they don't move. I rolled over a log for them and there was a chilled/not moving but still alive toad. Queenie pecked it and since it barely even moved they just ignored it. I stuck it back under the log

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Mine tore apart a field mouse the other day. We get tons of mice from the neighboring empty lot. FREE PROTEIN!!

5. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

My IB caught one this summer it was about 3 inches long and swallowed the whole thing. both legs were sticking out each side of her mouth and down it went. Just like a snake eating a frog or a mouse. I got a double yoker egg 3 days later.

6. Ken H

Ken H Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Must be a mater of taste. A couple of my girls are death on frogs, the others have no intrest at all. One thing they all go nuts for is the gristle, fat, and leftover veggies that I put in a blender and puree. Thanksgiving provided an over abundance of this mess so I put it in several sandwich zip-lok bags and froze it. I thaw the bags one at a time and cut off a corner. To dispence I just squeeze the baggi and the paste squirts out into their bowl (they know the bowl is their 'treat' bowl and really come running).

7. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:That's cute! Our girls loveeeee plain yogurt. It's so funny to watch them eat it. Ruby does this little slurping sound, too cute. Every time I go in the coop with the bowl they start talking away and chase after me. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by