They refuse to use upper boxes

MarkJr

Free Ranging
Jun 15, 2020
My pullets are decent size. I had 4 12x12 boxes at floor level. They were a little tight for our girls but they managed. We wound up with a traffic jam and eggs on the floor when all 10 started laying and a broody with a clutch using one for a nest. Wife and I revamped it to make 6 larger boxes. Broody took over the old coop that’s attached to same run, so we went with that too.

What is wrong with the boxes? I added platform in front of top boxes a week ago and still no takers.
907952B7-F58F-4861-B5F9-6FFFFA7AD0F1.jpeg

Maybe add curtains or a small partition board across the front to make the entrance less wide open. They like to feel secure and secluded while doing their private business. ;) The lower ones probably make them feel like they are hiding under something and less out in the open.

520B1D3A-9045-4CFE-BB34-C16068EB0BAD.jpeg
Snuck these on about 1130. As I was finishing up, one of the girls came in needing some privacy. I picked her up and set her in front of top left box. Came back after lunch, and was gifted this.
276C9C04-5956-4869-A9E5-0DFA3D7FBA07.jpeg

Thanks for the curtains tip. Seems she liked it enough to go on in and lay an egg. Hopefully they voluntarily use them now.

I was just going to suggest some fake eggs in upper nests, and some time.
Watch those staples.<cringe>.
What is that curtain material?

I was just going to suggest some fake eggs in upper nests, and some time.
Watch those staples.<cringe>.
What is that curtain material?
Curtain is rubber impregnated canvas. Fake eggs have been in since day one.

Back
Top Bottom