1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They started laying last month and their eggs are still pretty small?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NHchicks, Dec 8, 2010.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Will they get bigger?

The mothers (we hatched them from eggs here at home) were 2 NH Reds and 2 RI Reds, and they've all laid big brown eggs. There are 5 young hens, one of which is laying green eggs, but the eggs are only half the size of their mothers' eggs. The rooster was a cross, basically an Easter Egger, but he was not a small guy, he was pretty big.

Just wondering if I can expect large eggs out of these girls, or if I'll be stuck with small (medium) eggs forever. I don't remember the 4 mother hens' eggs ever being small.

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I would give them more time. Even my RIRs were a year old before they started laying eggs that could be considered large. If you don't start seeing an increase in size in a few months, then you may just have some medium-layers on your hands.

Aren't green eggs worth it, no matter what the size? [​IMG]

Good luck with them! [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will get bigger, it just takes time. My almost 2 year old EE lays a good size egg............well, when she's laying she does, right now she's not laying squat since she's molting.

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    They will get bigger. I'm going through the stage of very soft shells from two of our new layers. Even though they have oyster shell and layer food. Sometimes it just takes a while before they get up to par.

5. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Thank you for the replies! Glad to know they'll most likely get bigger. Altho there's nothing wrong with medium eggs. But there's nothing prettier than a huge smooth fresh egg either. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They will increase in size, but depending upon the breeds in the father they may never become as large as those from your older hens.

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I got tiny eggs for almost 3 months from my brown leg horn. It just takes time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by