They won't go in the coop at night-help!

Sevenwinds...great idea! I don't have windows though.
sad.png
Maybe I could put them by the door though...

Ed, I was so frustrated last night that eating them seemed like a better idea than dealing with all this! However, I'd have to send them to your nice Mennonite family though cause you know there's no way I could butcher them myself! Especially the cute little Ameraucanas. Hubby told them last night that he didn't see any eggs in there, and they better hurry up with that too or else! LOL. They've got an excuse for that one though...

Quote:
OK - You need to set Hubby's expectations on eggs

You have

Welsummer (2.5 months)
Barred Rock (2.5 months)
2 Ameracauna (6 weeks)
2 Silkies (Not sure)

I would think the Barred Rock will be the first to lay at 5 - 6 months of age. My Ameracauna started laying around 6 - 7 months of age. The Silkies will be in there around 5 or 6 months of age. This is my first experience with Welsummers, not sure when they typically start laying.

Last edited:
I like the sound of the solar thing. What about an extension cord to run a lamp with a 20 or 25 watt red lamp just for one evening to see iffin that is the deal or not?

Yeah, I educated Hubby in the egg laying area. I still think he's hoping they will mature early.
roll.png

Ok...I now have a new problem. This just gets funnier and funnier doesn't it? I just went out to check on the Ameraucanas cause I didn't see them out in the run. They won't come OUT of the coop now! They are huddled together in a corner inside.
lol.png
This is too funny! I wonder if the others are picking on them? The food is inside the coop, and the older girls are going in to eat there and then back out. I watched for a few minutes when a couple came in to eat, and no one picked on the little ones. Maybe this will help the rest to come in at night! I don't know!

Quote:
Your Ameracaunas have never been outside. They have a lot to get used to. Give them some time. And maybe they will encourage your others to come in. So they go in to eat, but they just won't sleep in there. That is just soooo odd.

I have never had that problem.

dont forget to check out pats ventilation page...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

it sounds like you might need to cut some vents and cover them with hardware cloth (we call it ratwire)

edited to add: maybe even consider a window size opening that they can enjoy....

also, have you posted any pics of your existing coop yet?

Last edited:
There are 4 ventilation openings covered with slats, 2 on each side. We have put up wire that we tack over the door when I put them in at night. Haven't had a chance to put up a proper door yet. So, I think there's plenty of ventilation. Although, I'm leaning more and more toward building a new coop now, and I will definitely add windows for ventilation.

Yes, they go in and out of the coop to eat and will go in when I put treats in there to eat those, but they won't sleep in there or go in there when it rains. They prefer the grass. Ed, are you sure you didn't sell me retarded chickens?
lol.png

Quote:
You did not just go there. You did. i don't think they are retarded. I just think there is something about their house that is not cozy for them or something. Post some pics for everyone to review.

Here are some pics of my coop. Sorry, they're not the best. The top flips open and that's how you access the inside of it. The corner that they want to sleep in at night is the corner of the run closest to the forefront in the first picture.
24100_coop_1.jpg

24100_coop_2.jpg

And here are pics of the inside. These are the nesting boxes on one side.
24100_coop_inside_.jpg

And these are the roosts on the other side. So far, only the barred rock is roosting at night after I put them in.
24100_inside.jpg

The roosts are about 18 inches off the floor and they have about 12 inches of headroom above them. Maybe it's not enough room?

Back
Top Bottom