They won't go in the coop at night-help!

Yes, I did turn the light off after they went in and it got fairly dark out. And, they stayed in. The light was giving off quite a bit of heat. I like the idea of those battery powered lights. I got this small little LED lantern yesterday, but it didn't seem to give off enough light cause they didn't respond to it like they did tonight to the work light. I am just so happy! It's the first night I didn't have to crawl around in the poop!
big_smile.png

I do have the outdoor extension cords. I'm wondering if I'm going to need a heat lamp in there during the winter. It's small, so that's good as far as keeping the heat in. What do you all think? We did have a couple nights at 0 degrees this past winter, but we don't get very many of those. I guess if it did get that cold, I could just run the extension cords out and hook up the heat lamp.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Oh, and I forgot to say that the only one that roosts is the Barred Rock. The rest lay on the floor together in a pile. And, my "baby" Ameraucanas (6 weeks) sleep together on the floor on the opposite side of the coop from the big girls. I'm wondering if the two Silkies are setting the example for everyone else. I've got a Welsummer, a Barred Rock, 2 Silkies, and 2 Ameraucanas.

Quote:
If you have a door one it then there should be no problem with heat. If you get them used to the heat & the power goes out you could be in trouble.

I never done the light thing but I also put mine in right before they started roosting.

You should not need heat. I have never had heat in my coop. Get a CFL bulb. You can get the one that puts of 60w but only use like 14w, they do not get near as hot and they last longer.

Buit I would hope that once they get comfortable with going inside. You will not need the light. My light that I have on (only in Winter to encourage them to lay) goes off when the suns comes up. My chickens go to bed as the sun goes down.

I have 39 chickens in the coop right now, they just went out a couple of days ago, the coop is large so I have left them locked up in there all day and night for the last couple of days.I do go out with my lawn chair and visit them in the coop and give them treats, but I want them to learn that the coop is there home, and so far when I go out to check on them after dark all of them are up on the roost or gathered together on the floor sleeping away, I plan on the grand opening of the pop hole next weekend and hope they remember where they live, I really think they are all comfortable in there so hopefully there won't be any issues later. Hadn't really thought that they might not want to go in at night! They did grow up in the brooder with a red light but seem to do fine now with out any light at all. I think everyone has had excellent suggestions for teaching them where home is. I will also keep all the suggestions in mind just incase.
Sandy

Quote:
If you have a door one it then there should be no problem with heat. If you get them used to the heat & the power goes out you could be in trouble.

I never done the light thing but I also put mine in right before they started roosting.

I agree. I don't use a light and mine are used to getting inside, getting a bite to eat and getting on the roost before they lose the natural light.

Quote:
Thats a great idea to experiment with. Just make sure its a soft light like a 25 watt red light. If you give them to much bright light it will throw their systems off.

Thanks, guys. They went right in again tonight. In fact, my Ameraucanas were already in and roosting when I went out to turn on the light. Sun hadn't come close to setting yet. The Barred Rock loves the roosts, so maybe they just need to learn that this is home and will eventually start roosting.

Glad to hear its working.

I'll bet the others will start using the roosts soon. They will see the others doing it and follow suit.
Mine don't need the light anymore I've discovered after being away from the house during sundown a few days in a row. They will put themselves to bed although I can make it happen faster with the light if I need to.

Just had a great chicken party and then carried the girls to their roosts. I'm spoiling them for sure.

One thing I did was build my run up high enough so I can walk upright in it so putting them to bed isn't hard when I want to do it.

So the night that I posted my message..I went out around 8:30 just as the sun started going down and all my chickens were in but the two bosses were sitting in the opening so I walked out and said..move or your gonna get squooshed..and they moved and I closed the door!..Yeah.. figures they would wait until I posted the message to start getting it.
big_smile.png
All weekend they seemed to go in fine. Last night Baby tried to sneak out when she saw me coming but I just waved my hand at her and said get in there woman! In she went. I have to keep a heat light on them if the temp is below 60. They are still small. Last night it got 37 and I had two heat lamps in there and it stayed 65. I'm glad its warming up..my electric bill will be huge!

Back
Top Bottom