They wont lay after molt.

PHmaddnes

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 19, 2014
So my chickens started molting in September and finished in October. New feathers are all in. Only problem is they decided to take the winter off. I guess I can live with that.

Question; Should I adjust their food or stop the layer feed and switch to something else until they decide its time to go back to work.

Thanks PH~

Once they get all of their new feathers in, they have to get their body weight back up before they can resume laying. They can lose a lot of weight while molting. They need higher protein right now, so give them any protein you can. Meat scraps, mealworms, higher protein feed, etc. They'll start laying for you again soon.

The good news is today is the shortest day of the year, after today, the days start getting longer again.

Once they get all of their new feathers in, they have to get their body weight back up before they can resume laying. They can lose a lot of weight while molting. They need higher protein right now, so give them any protein you can. Meat scraps, mealworms, higher protein feed, etc. They'll start laying for you again soon.

The good news is today is the shortest day of the year, after today, the days start getting longer again.

When you suggest meat scraps, I assume chicken would be bad ;-) Are there any types of meats that are better than others? I know their favorite is frogs but they seem to have hidden for the winter.

When you suggest meat scraps, I assume chicken would be bad ;-) Are there any types of meats that are better than others? I know their favorite is frogs but they seem to have hidden for the winter.
Chickens will cannibalize each other, but no, I don't feed my flock chicken. It just seems morbid.

I will feed beef and pork scraps. I chop it really thin and small. (remember chickens don't have teeth) Milk, even if spoiled, they enjoy and it has some protein in it. I know some people have fed tuna to their flocks. They love bacon grease and meat juices on occasion for good animal fats. (not too often as they have a lot of salt)

Hmmm.....If I feed them enough bacon grease will the eggs taste like Eggs and Bacon?
bow.gif
mmmmmm bacon....
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom