1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They're Cooking A Silkie On Food Network For Halloween...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Oct 19, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    They call it "black chicken"... It DOES looks black inside too! I always thought that it looked like a "normal" chicken inside and the skin was just black..?? Weird...
    So Silkies dont really have white meat?? or what...

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have never had silkie chicken myself, but people who have swear it tastes better than honky chicken.

1 person likes this.
  3. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote:LMAO![​IMG]

4. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I know, I saw that too! Wierd, isn't it... I really hadn't seen silkie meat until I watched the show; it really is black!

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Their bones are black, too. Freaky!

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I just saw it too...don't have silkies but being the cook at my house I think I would have a hard time cooking one! After seeing that!

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Well, shoot .... I shoulda butchered that last Silkie roo instead of giving him away, then I could have seen. I did hear (or read) somewhere that their bones are black also. But, I did not know there is no white meat. So, all the meat is dark meat? Now I am really curious.

8. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    yeah i read this somewhere but never seen it before it.very weird

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Silkies are dark because of pigmentation that lies primarily in their connective tissue. Thus black skin, black bones, black joint, black tint to all meat.

However, the physical color of meat is not what makes meat white vs dark. White meat is fast twitch muscle, and dark meat is slow twitch muscle. So silkies still have white breast meat and dark leg meat.

Fast vs slow twitch muscle.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

An explanation:

http://gmscience.blogspot.com/2009/04/fast-twitch-slow-twitch-dark-meat-white.html

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have butchered and eaten Silkies before, there IS white meat just not a lot of it. The bones arent black, just a darker color then a regular chicken. The meat isnt all black, its juts had a bit of black

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by