They're hatching 😆also I need hatchaholics to answer a question!

View attachment 2675471not sure what this bloody bag is but it's attached to the navel and it doesn't look like this guy was ready to come into the world yet.View attachment 2675473I feel like this guy was severely wrenched around, but I'm an erect person and being in an egg just doesn't seem right in the first place, so I guess that's just perspective.View attachment 2675474View attachment 2675477these two pics are from when it was alive. I was wondering if sticking it's tongue out repeatedly is normal, or was it an early sign that something was wrong?
And a side note would be that the egg next to him was the one that popped out an hour after this photo was taken. I was totally shocked😂

Unabsorbed yolk sac. It was definitely out of your hands. Nothing you could have done to help this duckling. :hugs

The chewing motion is normal though, it's a sign that they're still working on absorbing things.

View attachment 2675471not sure what this bloody bag is but it's attached to the navel and it doesn't look like this guy was ready to come into the world yet.View attachment 2675473I feel like this guy was severely wrenched around, but I'm an erect person and being in an egg just doesn't seem right in the first place, so I guess that's just perspective.View attachment 2675474View attachment 2675477these two pics are from when it was alive. I was wondering if sticking it's tongue out repeatedly is normal, or was it an early sign that something was wrong?
And a side note would be that the egg next to him was the one that popped out an hour after this photo was taken. I was totally shocked😂
Aww. That really sucks. It's terrible when that happens. But sometimes you can't avoid it. I wish you the best with your other ducks! :hugs

These eggs were shipped, wrapped in newspaper and laying on their sides or other random positions. Could this be why they're having a hard time?

Argh, the third egg isn't zipping. It's been pipped now for over 24 hours and it hasn't moved from it's original pip hole😭
These eggs were shipped, wrapped in newspaper and laying on their sides or other random positions. Could this be why they're having a hard time?

If you decide to assist I would recommend looking at this assisted hatch article as well if you haven't already.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

It has graphic images but I feel like it explains everything in greater detail.
Most of all, TAKE IT SLOW. Just opening the air cell and applying ointment to the membrane to make it translucent so you can see if there are any blood vessels that still need to be absorbed is your first step, at that point, you would evaluate the situation again and you may find yourself placing the duckling back in the incubator and waiting longer or it might be ready. If you see any blood, apply gentle pressure (I use a Qtip) and place the duckling back in the incubator to continue to wait. Blood means it's not ready. Good luck and keep us updated on how things are going!

And unfortunately, yes, shipping eggs can cause all sorts of issues with hatches.

Yep, the blood vessels are still there so I'm giving the Lil guy more time.
The other duckling was removed from the incubator and has now imprinted on me. I tried putting her in a kiddie pool with food, water, and heat but she jumps out and cries and chases me. I'm holding her while she sleeps 🥰 so precious!

20210518_095539~2.jpg

We're hoping it's a girl, so she's being called Adelle.

Back
Top Bottom