They're HaTcHiNg !! PIC HEAVY !!!

I opened several of the Orp eggs you sent me Bama. I couldn't believe that many were clear...not even a bad blood ring. I opened 1 blue and 2 of the blacks. The eggs looked fine, just no red..not a speck of growth ever started.

I suspect they were x-rayed along the way otherwise I find it impossible to believe that all the blues and blacks could be infertile...it's just not possible.

I've got my fingers crossed for the mottleds and am hoping the splash that is questionable turn into healthy chicks. The buffs look great, unfortunately I have too many buffs now...lol

I don't know, I was hoping to get another blue to go with my blue rooster and I have no blacks. Guess I will have to be patient and see what I get before I decide what I need...lol.

I had read one breeder says she lines her inner box with foil to help protect during x-rays. I was skeptical about that working. I wonder have you heard of anyone trying that ??

Well I'm off to work, have a good day and think spring... it's a balmy 3* at the moment.

Julie
smile.png

Quote:
For some reason it is always the eggs I really want to hatch do not develop. I have had good and bad hatches from the same people. I wonder what the PO does once they get our eggs? Maybe they have a competition to see who can beat them up the most? I just got two batches of eggs one from Bama (Julie) and Catalpa Farms. They both had broken eggs but were pack very well. I candled a few of Bamas last night and the three I candled had growth
yippiechickie.gif
The last time I had a bad hatch from Bama and a good one from Catalpa. I think it will be the other way around this time. It just gives me a excuse to buy more eggs.
lol.png
Maybe you will have better luck with the blues next time. I cant wait to see the hatch.
love.gif

~Update~

Well the maybe splash was just my hopes I guess...lol. Turned out to be clear too.

So No splash, No blues, No blacks....all clear eggs. I do have an unidentified egg from Bama that is growing...what I have no idea...lol, it will be a surprise
jumpy.gif
It is a long very narrow egg, hope it can position to hatch ok.

The 2 mottleds still look good so it's definitely something to be excited about !!

The dark maran eggs I just can't be 100% certain on the remainders so they will continue to cook.

My silkie is still sitting tight and she should start to hatch them Sat I'm thinking. I have to be downstate on Sunday so I am hoping her hatch goes well and everything is over and done by then !!

I know what ya mean some hatches are great and others suck and sometimes you just can't figure out why.

Julie
big_smile.png

Last night I removed the silkie from her nest of 5 eggs to do a quick clean up. She rarely leaves the eggs and I don't want the babies hatching out to poo......

I could hear all the little chirping going on, it was so kewl. Normally I only get to hear that sound muffled by the incubator walls...lol. What a difference so loud and sounded like all of them singing!!!

It was only a brief moment cuz momma went right back to the nest and very indignantly looked at me as she re-arranged the eggs and positioned herself.

I did say to her, I guess you didn't read the book cuz you're not suppose to roll them after day 18
lau.gif

They are due to hatch Sat morning.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Julie
smile.png

I have a pair of banty salmon favorelles along with my silkies and a banty cochin hen all running together right now. They are in with the standards but my big boys have enough hens they don't seem to notice the little gals at all... thankfully.
smile.png

So I expect them to be silkie or silkie x .

I am hoping they will stay with her. I brought her in the house and since she has been inside several weeks now I can't very well toss her out in the coop with our climate because she won't be acclimated.

I think her and the chicks will be fine in the house and it will be good for her and I think the chicks.

But I did start to wonder (I've only ever done brooder chicks on medicated starter) should I give mom and the hens starter or how do I work that. And can I use medicated or not this time cuz mom might eat some.

Any idea ??

Julie
big_smile.png

You can feed the hen chick starter with the chicks. I didn't realize she and her nest were inside already. They should be fun to watch!! Good luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
Two have hatched. Another is pecking at the shell but not pipped yet.... I was surprised to see them...lol. I squealed, silkie mom gave me the evil eye, then promptly stood on one of them.......... aaarrggghhh. It seems fine.

I will post pics in a bit.

Julie
big_smile.png

Here are the first 2. Another just hatched... looks like it might be blue, not fluffy yet hard to tell. Another has pipped .......... woohoo !!!!

Another week and the incubator eggs will be ready...lol.

Julie
smile.png

silkiex.jpg

silkiex3.jpg

silkiexbroody.jpg

Back
Top Bottom