They're HaTcHiNg !! PIC HEAVY !!!

I've never had eggs weep sooooo early in the process. And I have never blamed anyone but myself for a bad hatch.

I know a lot of variables happen but this sorta makes me wonder if the eggs were old or not stored in a cool place before being sent out.......

Well I'm on lists for barnevelder and welsummer eggs with other ppl for later spring. If this is a bad batch I will just have to wait for those babies to come later...lol.

Julie
big_smile.png

Quote:
I know I shouldn't even be thinking about doing this myself, but what trade/sell board are you talking about? The one here (cyberhere) or is there a local (Michigan) one.

Here usually I look everytime I come in...lol. Although there is a yahoo forum that is Michigan based and a good place to make in state contacts for chicks/eggs in my opinion.

Julie
big_smile.png

Well just a quick update.

So far it is 2 weepy eggs that have been tossed from the ebay batch.
sad.png
:mad: It makes me very nervous about the viability of the rest of that batch. I sooooooo do not want to have a bad egg explode. I have doubts about the freshness of those eggs or how they were stored to start to weep within 48 hrs.

I chose 3 eggs from each batch to candle tonight....it's still very early but I thought it might perk me up some.

The eggbid eggs and the ebay eggs are all darker browns (marans, welsummer, barnevelders) and I can't see squat...lol. Well thats not completely true, I can see air pockets on some.

Out of 3 of mine I could see veining in 2 of them.
Out of the blue rocks I saw veining in 1 and the orpingtons I checked two mottled and one buff. Only the buff shows a little veining at this stage.

Again it's very early so seeing anything is encouraging. The eggs went into the bator on January 10th about 8pm. That would make tonight day 6.

I think I will candle again on Sunday evening. Temps and humidity are holding well.

The silkie hen, sitting on 5 banty eggs of mine, is now on day 11 and sitting tight. She has yet to be seen leaving the eggs to eat or drink. I forced her off the nest night before last and she drank quite a bit before hopping back in the nest box. I don't want to mess with her too much but don't want her to die of starvation/dehydration either.

Julie
smile.png

Wow, I think I'm talking to myself here.... thats not a good sign I'm sure!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Well on the downside, it's colder and starting to snow again. On the upside I get to go home and stare inside the little windows of my incubator...lol.

Julie
big_smile.png

hey good luck with the eggs i fell off the wagon and put some in my bator sunday will be 7 days for me so we will both be candeling that day lol

I am sure that Sunday will not come soon enough. I am curious the ebay eggs were they from a cajun?

Enjoy looking in the little windows and stay warm!

Good luck!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Well I made it home and the eggs all look nice and toasty in the bators.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who "cracked" under pressure...lol.

Sunday is sooooooo far away...lol. And even then I know I will still be indecisive about some that I candle...lol.

The inner battle is you don't need anymore chickens so it's ok if it's a bad hatch. The other side is like are you insane... don't need anymore chickens..
lau.gif

Yes, on cajun. Has good feedback though so maybe it's just a fluke.......
idunno.gif

Sunday my silkie will be 2/3 of the way thru her batch of sitting on eggs....
wee.gif
I haven't candled them , she is nuts!!!

~Julie
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom