They're hatching! **PIC** post 8, post 21

12!!!

Most are yellow or yellow with the black butt and head spot. No typical muscovy masks or eye stripes.

I only took 1 pic because I had just been messing with them. I smelled a distinctive rotten odor this morning so I figured it was time to check and remove any eggs. It looked like maybe 5 of the eggs had fully/almost fully developed but I think the cold and too many eggs did them in. But I'm very happy with 12.

I'll get more pics when I can but for now I'm letting them settle back in.

So cute! gosh, it's late were you expecting a nest to occur so close to winter?

Last edited:
Congratulations! So cute.......!!!! More pics SOON please!

Suzie
wee.gif

So, I went to get them some feed. Came home and peeked in to check the temp and see no mom or babies!! I looked around the coop and see mom in a corner with all of her babies. Apparently somebody didn't appreciate the time I spent on making a brooder for them!
barnie.gif

Needless to say, I scooped up all of the babies and mom went back in the brooder while lecturing her about the fact that her babies may freeze out there. I went ahead and closed the door I made for her, gave her some hay to see if it will make her feel more comfortable and safe.

I was surprised when she went broody at the end of October. Its her first hatch. I was (am) a bit nervous about her keeping them warm enough.

Totally understandable... i had a few try to set nests in late summer/early fall but i knocked that one out the door... Good luck on your brood!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. So far, so good. I was wrong on coloring. All of them are yellow with color on the tails and some head spots. I can't really tell for sure but I'm thinking they may all be black and white.
roll.png
I was hoping dad might have some chocolate in him so I'd get some brown like mom. Oh well.

Thanks everyone. So far, so good. I was wrong on coloring. All of them are yellow with color on the tails and some head spots. I can't really tell for sure but I'm thinking they may all be black and white.
roll.png
I was hoping dad might have some chocolate in him so I'd get some brown like mom. Oh well.
Just sit back and watch, they will change right before your eyes, looking forward to what is going to come out of them color wise it's amazing.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom