They're Here... new English Mastiff puppies

Had an interesting behavior crop up this afternoon with Lily that I'd like opinions on...
We took Lily with us for a short trip down to the coast. It was her first time, and she was a little overwhelmed at first, but quickly collected herself and bopped along with us like always. We encountered two other dogs there.
(Now, she hasn't been around many dogs outside of our family group, but she usually reacts with reserved interest then ignores them.)
The first dog was an adult at a few yards distance; we walked by and she had her usual causal interest but no reaction. The second dog (a 4mo old puppy) came along after we had been there some time and passed directly by us. The owners did not have him leashed and were holding him by the collar as he tried to put his paws up on her and sniff her. Despite his lack of manners, she was friendly and interested. They sniffed and wagged tails for a minute or two. Then my young son came up to pet the puppy. Still no reaction as he said hello to the pup and let it lick/sniff his hand... then it tried to put its paws up on him. At that instant her hackles rose and she bad-dog barked until the owners had taken him away down the beach.
I assumed this to be a protective reaction. Everything was fine until the pup crossed a line... trying to jump up on HER boy. The pup was showing zero signs of aggression though, which is the part that concerns me a little. Do you all think this was just Lily asserting boundaries, misreading cues, or the first sign of something we need to work on?

Mastiffs are guard dogs, and she just demonstrated this. Do you have children visiting at your house? is she good, no matter what they do, as in play fighting or wrestling?
What did you do when she acted aggressive towards this puppy? Did she stop when told 'out' or whatever 'leave it' type command she knows?
It's training time!
Check out trainers within driving distance, talk to them, and see who sounds reasonable to visit. Consider a police dog type trainer, someone who deals with guard dogs all the time.
Our one mastiff, a rescue, did want to guard, sometimes not appropriately concerning our older children at that time.
Mary

It's training time!
I assumed this was the case. We don't have guests over often, and the pups are usually put out of his room when people do come over, so she's not really been exposed to other kids playing rough with our son. We rough house and with him all the time though, and there's no reaction. (I know it's not the same thing, but she has been exposed to it on some level)

She is definitely the watch dog of the two, and is always the one to go on defensive alert when she hears something unusual in the yard, but has never "gone after" anyone or anything.

I was caught off guard by her reaction to the puppy (especially as she had just been friendly with him seconds earlier) and I probably did not react appropriately. I kept her on a tight lead and told her no (which she ignored.) I know, I should have had a plan, but this is the first time this has cropped up.

Just wanted to be clear on another thing though... The pup was just a little smaller than her and wiggly, hyper, undisciplined mess (which she was ok with until DS came into the mix.) He was also not leashed, and lunging (albeit playfully) as the owner held his collar. The owner said he was Catahoula/boxer, but his body type looked pit to me. Not making excuses for Lily, just clarifying that he wasn't a well behaved little lap dog.
I should have gotten her out of the situation.

Had an interesting behavior crop up this afternoon with Lily that I'd like opinions on...
We took Lily with us for a short trip down to the coast. It was her first time, and she was a little overwhelmed at first, but quickly collected herself and bopped along with us like always. We encountered two other dogs there.
(Now, she hasn't been around many dogs outside of our family group, but she usually reacts with reserved interest then ignores them.)
The first dog was an adult at a few yards distance; we walked by and she had her usual causal interest but no reaction. The second dog (a 4mo old puppy) came along after we had been there some time and passed directly by us. The owners did not have him leashed and were holding him by the collar as he tried to put his paws up on her and sniff her. Despite his lack of manners, she was friendly and interested. They sniffed and wagged tails for a minute or two. Then my young son came up to pet the puppy. Still no reaction as he said hello to the pup and let it lick/sniff his hand... then it tried to put its paws up on him. At that instant her hackles rose and she bad-dog barked until the owners had taken him away down the beach.
I assumed this to be a protective reaction. Everything was fine until the pup crossed a line... trying to jump up on HER boy. The pup was showing zero signs of aggression though, which is the part that concerns me a little. Do you all think this was just Lily asserting boundaries, misreading cues, or the first sign of something we need to work on?
She was probably protecting him. Dogs can sense things. Maybe working on it would help. She might have been jealous to. Our golden doesnt show aggression but she doesnt like certain people and will growl at them. I hope you can figure it out.

Do you know anyway to get my puppy better around dogs? She is scared of them. Even her brother she is scared of she hunkers down. We have tried socializing her with a beagle that lives nextdoor to us but she doesnt like his barking.

Socialization early is best, and easiest before 16 weeks or so. Since C-19 hit, it's been much harder to join classes, or just get out in public, so many dogs, especially those born in 2020, are not adequately trained or polite socially.
Find trainers, and classes! There's a range of 'training styles' out there, and what may be great for one dog and family, will be a bust for another. Your veterinary clinic may have lists and advice, check there for sure. Then call, and visit training sessions, and see how things look to you. If Plan A fails, look for Plan B.
Waiting to see if growling or aggressive behaviors 'just go away' is a fail, every time.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom