They're Here... new English Mastiff puppies

Pics

Gizabelle

Crowing
Dec 30, 2018
North Florida
Starting fresh with a new thread for these big babies.
Backstory here if you're interested.
We've been waiting for months for our new EM puppy to reach the 4 month mark and complete his puppy vaccine series before coming home. A few weeks ago we were offered the opportunity to bring home not only Otis, but also his one remaining litter mate.
Well, I suppose the title speaks for itself. Here they are... Otis and Lily
20220520_010518.jpg

20220520_010703.jpg

20220520_010546.jpg

They are an absolute joy. Both are so affectionate and gentle. They are settling in very well, and (despite their size) have been well received by our other four-legged family members.

Otis is already well on his way to becoming a shameless Daddy's boy just as was intended. I've been trying not to shower him with too much attention (giving DH space to bond with him) but he is simply impossible to ignore and he knows it. He's so very sweet and goofy. He reminds me of a child wearing adult shoes with those huge gawky feet.
(He currently outweighs his sissy by 20lbs :th)
20220520_010623.jpg

Our son has declared Lily "his" dog. He is quite indignant that she is not allowed to sleep in his room until she is fully settled in. She is a little softer natured I think, but also has some definite spunk. I love that her favorite inside pastime is cuddling, and outside it is crashing pell-mell through the woods/bushes.
20220520_012530.jpg

I've been giving dear Sunny extra attention of course. She's taken on a bit of a "jaded-teen-with-toddlers-in-the-house" role but is happily embracing all the extra treats when they all come in after pottys.
And yes, she attempts to herd them... and while not entirely successful, she does redirect them well and set a good example for recalls. She's grudgingly begun sharing the vast wisdom of her two years and teaching them how we dog around here.
20220520_010752.jpg

Last edited:
Everything is going well. Its so fun watching their personalities come out as they get more comfortable.
I've had big dogs before, but this is my first experience with EMs. So far their personalities remind me so much more of cats than dogs. They are content to laze around and do their own thing generally; and they will listen... but only if what they're doing isn't particularly pressing. They do play pretty rough (only with each other) on occasion, but that's to be expected of littermates.
We have much training to do, lol.
DH has taken Otis with him a few times to check on job sites, and DS and I took Lily out to the park with Sunny yesterday (trying to get them accustomed to being apart for short intervals) and they've done great so far.

The threat of parvo is still in the back of my mind of course, and I'm checking them constantly for any signs. We've taken all possible precautions, and on the whole, I feel good about things, but that doubt will be there until the 3-14 day incubation period has passed without incident.

Starting fresh with a new thread for these big babies.
Backstory here if you're interested.
We've been waiting for months for our new EM puppy to reach the 4 month mark and complete his puppy vaccine series before coming home. A few weeks ago we were offered the opportunity to bring home not only Otis, but also his one remaining litter mate.
Well, I suppose the title speaks for itself. Here they are... Otis and Lily
View attachment 3115610
View attachment 3115613
View attachment 3115611
They are an absolute joy. Both are so affectionate and gentle. They are settling in very well, and (despite their size) have been well received by our other four-legged family members.

Otis is already well on his way to becoming a shameless Daddy's boy just as was intended. I've been trying not to shower him with too much attention (giving DH space to bond with him) but he is simply impossible to ignore and he knows it. He's so very sweet and goofy. He reminds me of a child wearing adult shoes with those huge gawky feet.
(He currently outweighs his sissy by 20lbs :th)
View attachment 3115612

Our son has declared Lily "his" dog. He is quite indignant that she is not allowed to sleep in his room until she is fully settled in. She is a little softer natured I think, but also has some definite spunk. I love that her favorite inside pastime is cuddling, and outside it is crashing pell-mell through the woods/bushes.
View attachment 3115616

I've been giving dear Sunny extra attention of course. She's taken on a bit of a "jaded-teen-with-toddlers-in-the-house" role but is happily embracing all the extra treats when they all come in after pottys.
And yes, she attempts to herd them... and while not entirely successful, she does redirect them well and set a good example for recalls. She's grudgingly begun sharing the vast wisdom of her two years and teaching them how we dog around here.
View attachment 3115614
Such cuties.

Everything is going well. Its so fun watching their personalities come out as they get more comfortable.
I've had big dogs before, but this is my first experience with EMs. So far their personalities remind me so much more of cats than dogs. They are content to laze around and do their own thing generally; and they will listen... but only if what they're doing isn't particularly pressing. They do play pretty rough (only with each other) on occasion, but that's to be expected of littermates.
We have much training to do, lol.
DH has taken Otis with him a few times to check on job sites, and DS and I took Lily out to the park with Sunny yesterday (trying to get them accustomed to being apart for short intervals) and they've done great so far.

The threat of parvo is still in the back of my mind of course, and I'm checking them constantly for any signs. We've taken all possible precautions, and on the whole, I feel good about things, but that doubt will be there until the 3-14 day incubation period has passed without incident.
I think you are going to be okay.

But let's just say the worst case scenario is they get parvo. Well, they came from a responsible, knowledgeable breeder that had healthy parents and a safe home. And I'm sure that at any sign of vomiting/diarrhea you're going to get them tested instead of waiting around a few days to see if it passes.

They're going to be fine, you're going to be fine...have fun with those pups!

Thanks everyone!
I think you are going to be okay.

But let's just say the worst case scenario is they get parvo. Well, they came from a responsible, knowledgeable breeder that had healthy parents and a safe home. And I'm sure that at any sign of vomiting/diarrhea you're going to get them tested instead of waiting around a few days to see if it passes.

They're going to be fine, you're going to be fine...have fun with those pups!
Thanks for the kind words. They've had the 4 dose series, and we're going back for an additional booster (that usually isn't given to most pups) in 2 weeks.
After a long consultation with my vet months ago, I feel pretty good about things. She assured me that if infection occurs in vaccinated dogs, its usually far milder than dogs with no prior vaccines. And furthermore, the manufacturer actually guarantees efficacy. Meaning they with pay for medical care based on the number of doses administered in the series (1 dose: 25% of costs, 2 doses: 50%, etc)
Still, having seen this nightmare virus firsthand, I won't breath totally easy for another week and a half.

Back
Top Bottom