Trust me if my chickens weren't under lock and key and something happened to them I would be doing the same thing and you are looking at the girl who reads 300 page books in 4 hours
Wow that's quite impressive! I could have definitely used better and more proper grammar lol. So tired from being up all night worrying, even though I KNOW that's not going to help the situation 🤦‍♀️ Thank you very much for your reply ❤️

Wow that's quite impressive! I could have definitely used better and more proper grammar lol. So tired from being up all night worrying, even though I KNOW that's not going to help the situation 🤦‍♀️ Thank you very much for your reply ❤️
I was having a hard time sleeping when I was thinking about the eggs in the incubator and what would happen if one of them was born disformed last night and she probably will recover. One time our little dog attacked our ducks and one of them had gotten bit and was still alive and my redneck older brother super glued the wounds shut and the duck lived!!

My dog just attacked one of my chickens... I've been crying all night lol. I love my animals so much, I know many of you understand this! He's a LG Dog (puppy) just under 5 months old and is 50+lbs so we've been training him and working with him every single day, all day. We just put a bunch of teens in a run we built off the side of the very large new coop we built last year and I noticed he had been paying much more attention to them since they've been stretching their wings and darting back and forth. It seems like it triggered his prey chase desire and the same day I was watching that behavior much more closely and correcting him he still managed to snag one of my 5 free range laying hens... my beautiful, dependable still laying 5 year old Americana named "Snowflake." Literally the only 10 minutes we weren't keeping an eye on him right after my husband got home and was telling me about his workday. He got the "shoulder" part of the top of her wing to the bone. I'm so devastated. My heart and soul hurts for her. She's ok I think... Doesn't seem to be in shock. Made it through the night. She's making her usual gentle noises and pooped this morning (it happened last night right before sundown). Immediately after the injury within 15 minutes, I mixed clean warm water with betadine and used a flushing syringe to clean the wounded area, then I used vetrymicin spray (sp?), then I pat her dry and put a bacitracin ointment on the open areas. Gave her some grapes with 1/4 crushed up baby aspirin in them (she's got to be in pain) and hard boiled some eggs for her to eat as well as her favorite black sunflower seeds and regular crumble. I also put an additive, for chickens of course, in her water that is a probiotic, full of vits and minerals to support immune function, and decreases the acidity of their bodies for stress and healing. Not sure what else I can do other than care for her like that and flush/clean her wound 3x a day at least. She's eating a little bit, must be drinking as well, and is inside our home with us in a very large cardboard box with large pine shavings. Some prayers for my hen would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance my fellow chicken lovers ❤️ dog is now on an aerial lead until we can afford to fence off a large portion of our property so they can still be free range and happy.View attachment 3783353
I'm so sorry you had to lose them. I hope this one gets better

This might not help but it might help aswell

Best case scenario:she recovers very quickly and she lives for a really long time
Worst case scenario: She cant use that wing anymore

What's probably going to happen: she makes a full recovery in like a week or two and goes onto adulthood
That sounds wonderful 🥰 thank you. I hope the wing will work so she can hop up into their roosting area still. Ugh.

I was having a hard time sleeping when I was thinking about the eggs in the incubator and what would happen if one of them was born disformed last night and she probably will recover. One time our little dog attacked our ducks and one of them had gotten bit and was still alive and my redneck older brother super glued the wounds shut and the duck lived!!
Those are the same worries I would have if I was hatching too! That's true Farmer man ideaswith the super glue lol. My dad used to glue his severely broken or cut skin together with super glue too and it did work. I'm so glad it helped the duck!

Back
Top Bottom